AppraiserJM
AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Certified Appraiser, Appraiser's Association of America. USPAP qualified through 2015.
30223878

I have three old silk etchings and was wondering if they of

Customer Question

I have three old silk etchings and was wondering if they of any value. They are signed by a Tho Riley and depict street scenes of old England. Notations at the bottom are Pye Corner, Ye Old Fountaine Minories, Oliver Cromwell his House, Ye Oxford Arm and Gateway, Ye Stokes and Hall of Ye Brotherhood. All are of a similar size with the largest being 130 x 210.
Regards
Anne Thomson
Category: Antiques
Expert:  AppraiserJM replied 7 months ago.
Hi, my name is*****"m a certified appraiser, and I'd be happy to help.Thomas Riley was a British artist working primarily in the late 19th century.The prints would have a value of approximately $100.00 - $125.00 each.Please let me know if I can help further.Sincerely,Jennifer
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Could you tell me a little more about the artist and why the etchings would have printed on silk.
Many thanks
Anne
In the late 19th century, prints on satin were a much-loved fad. The satin (silk) gave a glistening effect to the prints which fit well with the late Victorian aesthetic.Thomas Riley (1856-1892) was a British painter and etcher active in the late nineteenth century. A student of the painter and Royal Academy president Sir Edward John Poynter (1836-1919), Riley exhibited throughout London, including nineteen times at the R.A. He is best-known for his Gathering Apples etching, published in the Portfolio in 1882.
I see you have not yet rated/accepted my answer. How can I help you further?http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hlJennifer