Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  Bachelor of Arts Degree (summa cum laude); 10+ years exp.
48688175

I have a victrola phonograph player, floor model, serial number

Customer Question

I have a victrola phonograph player, floor model, serial number vv-x-239494-j. What is it worth?
***@******.***
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Diana F. replied 8 months ago.
Hi. My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help..That's a great model. Old Victor machines are always fun. Nearly a 100 yrs later and buyers still collect them. The Victrola VV-X model was first produced in 1910. It originally was a tabletop model meant to replace the vv-xii. They turned it into a a floor model in 1913 and offered it in oak and mahogany mostly. Both are popular, but the mahogany is just a bit more desirable. Based on your serial number, it was made closer to 1916. It would have sold for about $80 to $90 back then..Based on my guides and past sales, a floor model VV-X is worth about $200 to $300 in fair condition and about $400 to $550 if it's in good to excellent condition..The price really depends on how quick you want to make a sale and where you want to try and sell it. If you can get a collector, they will pay almost full value for it, but that means waiting on a sale..The hardest part will be selling it online because shipping would be absolutely expensive, but,if you can find a cheap route, it could be worth it. You could try listing on Ebay and list it as a pick up only, that way there is no shipping..There is also craigslist and ebayclassifieds, which is similar to ebay, but it's pickup only and free. I don’t generally recommend craigslist because of the bad things that can happen, but with heavy pieces it is a viable option..Another option I thought of for you is facebook if you have a facebook account. A lot of people have set up yardsale or sale groups for their town where people can arrange to buy or sell items. We have a yardsale community facebook page in my town and people are constantly listing items for sale. It might be worth checking out. That can be a nice free way to list your items..Just make sure that if you do meet up with someone to sell your items (whether it's using facebook, or using craigslist or some other way) that you do not meet someone alone. It's better to avoid having someone come to your house. It's always best to meet someplace very public and to have another person with you. A police station parking lot is actually a really great place to set up a meeting..If you don't want to try those, you might check with consigning at a higher end antique shop. The best way to find them is to check your yellow page. Look at the ads, not the listings. Ads cost money and generally the longest running and those that are actually making money are the ones to advertise in the yellow pages..Auctions tend to go either way. It just depends on the bidders. If you do check with an auction house, ask about setting a reserve price. That way you'll have some control over the final price..If you'd like to check into local ones, you can use http://www.auctionzip.com/Auctioneer-Directory/.You can search by zipcode to find one nearby..If you consider Ebay, consider a reserve and check into alternate shipping options,like freight, greyhound, Amtrak, etc. or you can list it as a pickup only. Two other good shipping options are:.https://www.cratersandfreighters.com which has a good reputation.and.http://www.uship.com/.If you look into different shipping alternatives and are willing to try that, you might also considering listing it with places like Rubylane, Tias or even Cyberattic or Etsy. They can help you reach sellers all over the US..Some of those sites will also let you do a "pick up only" route, but most lean more toward shipping items to the buyers..That should give you quite a few options, but if you need anything else, don't hesitate to ask..I hope this has been helpful to you. I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales..Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you..If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me..I look forward to working with you again..Have a great day.~Diana