Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry

I have a set of 4 chairs made the Northwest Chair Company,

Customer Question

I have a set of 4 chairs made the Northwest Chair Company, from Tacoma, WA.
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: They are of art-deco design, I think, with 3 horizontal cylindrical 'spokes,' if you will, on the back and the underside of the chairs, and a charved-out groove down the vertical sides of the backs.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: I just wanted to know more about the company, from which the chairs came, and the date they were made, if possible. I think I might have a tiny bit more info on the company, than is listed on the page I landed, of this website. (
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Antiques Appraiser about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am sorry for the typos. I was typing too fast.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Here is a historical site in which are photographs and a little bit of information on the Northwest Chair Company of Tacoma, Washington.
Apparently, there were several chair companies in the City of Tacoma, WA, at the same time this company existed; including Gregory Furniture Manufacturing Company. I also found more info at these following websites, but alas, I still have not found all I seek.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
There is a listing for an old catalogue from Northwest Chair Co. of Tacoma, WA, that appears to have been sold already. At least, the listing gives a tiny bit of historical information.
"Graphic cover of Mt. Rainier on this catalog from the Northwest Chair Company of Tacoma, Washington, for their Northwest Line of furniture. Measures 11" x 8 1/2"; spiral bound; 50pp; photo illustrations of most every piece of furniture being sold in the catalog. Looks to date circa 1940s (?). The main factory and office was at 2201 South Tacoma Way, Tacoma, WA. They also had offices in Butte, MT, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Denver, and Salt Lake City. Corners of cover creased; some soiling to front and back covers; but the interior is bright and clean in VG+ condition. Nice period piece from the beginning of the Retro era."
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Here is some info on another set of dining chairs made by Northwest Chair Company of Tacoma, WA, listed on another website.
I bought these chairs at the Salvation Army. I tried to research "Tacoma Chair Co." and "Northwest Chair Co." of Tacoma Wa and it appears they began in 1916, grew quite big, fire in 1944, followed by sale of property in 1945. They may also be known as "Gregory Furniture". The 4 chairs are made of solid wood that is very dark in color. They style is hard to explain....please refer to picture. I want to sell these and have no idea what they are even worth....can you help?
Distinguishing marks:
Label on seat bottom with "Northwest Chair Co. Tacoma Wash". There are boxes for No. , Uph., Fin., and Grade but the print has faded too much to read.
Date Period:
Tacoma Chair Company in Tacoma Wa (approx) 1916-1945
Size and dimensions of this item:
37" tall, 16" wide, 16" deep
7 pounds?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
In that listing I just mentioned, the writer assumes that Northwest Chair Co. is the same as Gregory Furniture Manufacturing Company, but according to the Tacoma Public Library, on their website, on a page with a picture of the City of Tacoma, the two companies are different, indeed. In fact, they also mention other furniture companies that lived nearby these two companies, in the same area of Tacoma, Washington. Marvin D. Boland Collection Series: BOLAND-B10497 (Unique: 37090)
Date: 07-17-1924
Description: View taken from hillside of several furniture manufacturing plants. At the far left is the Gregory Furniture Mfg. Co., 2926 South Steele (corner of Center & Steele). Others labeled in the July 17, 1924, photograph are the Northwest Chair Co., 2201 South Tacoma Way (site called Edison Ave. at the time) and the C.E. MacDonald Co., next door at 2121 South Tacoma Way. Northwest Chair had constructed the four-story concrete addition visible here to its plant in 1923. The building housing the C.E. MacDonald Co. would suffer major damage in 1927 when a fire of unexplained origin broke out. G35.1-016 (photograph damaged at right corner)
Subjects: Furniture industry--Tacoma--1920-1930; Gregory Furniture Manufacturing Co. (Tacoma); Northwest Chair Co. (Tacoma); C.E. MacDonald Co. (Tacoma);
Image type: Black & White
Print type: Fiber base-Glossy
Print format: 8x10"
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Found on this page of the Tacoma Public Library website,, is more info (read the following) about the 3 particular furniture companies and another photo.Collection: Richards Studio Collection Series: D34815-17 (Unique: 38891)
Date: 08-18-1948
Description: This is how the area around South Tacoma Way and Steele St. appeared in aerial photographs taken in August of 1948. Street near photograph's bottom is South Tacoma Way. The uniquely designed Java Jive (then called the Coffee Pot Restaurant) is on the left. Across the street is Lowrie Moving & Storage and the large Northwest Chair Co. plant at 2201 South Tacoma Way. To the left of Northwest Chair is the Johnson's Millwork firm at 2319 South Tacoma Way. At 2629 So. Steele St. is the big F.S. Harmon Mfg. Co. who bought the former Gregory Furniture Mfg. plant in 1945. Harmon's name is ***** ***** on the building's exterior.
Subjects: Aerial views; Aerial photographs; Java Jive (Tacoma); Coffee Pot Restaurant (Tacoma); F.S. Harmon Manufacturing Co. (Tacoma); Northwest Chair Co. (Tacoma); Johnson's Millwork, Inc. (Tacoma); Lowrie Moving & Storage (Tacoma);
Image type: Black & White
Print format: 8x10"
Expert:  Nora replied 6 months ago.
Hello, At your convenience, please send images of your chairs. ~Nora