Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have a very large Gazvin (Kazvin, Qazvin) Persian carpet;

Customer Question

I have a very large Gazvin (Kazvin, Qazvin) Persian carpet; (I thought older Sarouk.) as I've been told by a reputable antique Persian rug merchant in Villanova PA.
The carpet measures about 12' x 20'. He indicated that this area of Iran stopped manufacturing rugs and carpets in this city in the mid 1930's to early 1940's. It is a curvilinear design, very thick pile, relatively tight knot count. The carpet's border is not a typical straight border but a very curvilinear floral border. It is in good condition for it's supposed age. It is not perfect. It needs a couple of minor repairs to the selvedge and one corner of the rug has a mysterious "patch" on the back which is in no way apparent on the face of the rug. the rug is a floral, curvilinear, very colorful rug with reds, blues, greens, pinks and yellows in a sparsely spaced floral pattern on an ivory field. The rug also features a beautiful center medallion. I have many pictures I can send. I am looking to sell this rug privately to another "rug nut" as I no longer have a room large enough to carry it. There are no traffic patterns and the pile thickness is uniform. It weighs around 150-175 pounds. I would rate the rug in average condition. it is a very beautiful and unusual carpet. I have no idea what it's value is for selling. The rug dealer in Villanova said that he would put an 8,500-10,000 price on it and likely sell it for between $7,500-$8,000. I think that price seems high to me. It is difficult to find comparables as these rugs have not been made since 1930 to the early 1940's. HELP!
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I wastold that I would have an answer in 8 minutes...... 45 minutes ago!
Expert:  AppraiserJM replied 7 months ago.
Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser, and I'd be happy to help.Appraisals are very particular things, and the site can't guarantee to have people qualified to appraise one particular kind of item, at all times.Are you still interested? If so, I will need a more straight-on photo of the rug, plus a close up of the back with a ruler or quarter on it, so I can get the knot count.Sincerely,Jennifer
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Here are the photos that you've requested. I trust they should be sufficient to at least produce an approximate appraisal or range of value.
How much is this going to cost
Regards***** *****
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Why am I being charged for an appraisal which I have not yet received?
Expert:  Wayne replied 7 months ago.
Hi,My name is***** have been dealing in and appraising oriental rugs for over 40 years, and I can help you with this. This a Kirman circa 1930-1950. The edges appear a little rough and it appears to have some stains. Please confirm.Thanks,Wayne