Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry

I found an old painting and having trouble identifying the artist

Customer Question

I found an old painting and having trouble identifying the artist. If I take a picture, can you help? Thanks.
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
If you can determine the artist, any sense of the value? Thanks.
Expert:  AppraiserJM replied 5 months ago.
Good morning,This is a print, not a painting.Could you post a tighter close-up of the signature?Jennifer
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Sure. Here is a better picture of the signature. Does this help?
Just the signature alone, really tight.Jennifer
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
How about this? Thanks!
Perfectly clear--it's CM Ronces or CM Roncas--unfortunately I can find nothing on that artist.I will open the question to other appraisers, perhaps someone else can locate it. You don't have to do anything or pay any additional fees.Sincerely,Jennifer
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks. I have spent quite some time on this as well searching no avail. I actually have one and my uncle has another....same artist. Mine is called "Concialto" or "Concierto" and his is called "Cilindrero". Maybe this will help? Thanks, Jordan.
Expert:  Diane in PA replied 5 months ago.
Hi Jordan,My name is ***** ***** I'm going to hop on this train and see what I might be able to find on this. It definitely looks like some interesting art!Can you tell me the size of the print? Is it framed or unframed? If framed, any info on the frame?When, where, and how did you acquire it?Can you tell me what the writing at the far lower left says?Thanks!
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Diane. Thanks for trying. Here is a full picture of it. I got the painting from my late great uncle. He passed away a number of years ago. His son thinks it may have come from Mexico but that is really a stab in the dark. Hopefully the attached helps a bit! Thanks. Jordan.
Hi Jordan!Nice to hear from you. I've been at this for a while now, and I don't have my paragraphs really structured correctly, etc. so excuse me for just plopping my notes down via cut/paste. I wanted you to see the ideas I've had - two heads are always better than one. I'm not even sure if mine make sense. I just keep going where the dominoes fall, lol.Take your time reading this. No rush. Please let me know your thoughts - good or bad. Thank you.________________'She' is playing a 'concertina' [accordian; squeeze-box; melodeon], thus the word 'Concierto' [?]. The concertina is also played much in Polish music (polkas). Because I see you're in Canada, all of this leads me to believe that it was created as an art piece for the Roncesvalles Polish Festival - the an annual fall celebration of Polish art, music and culture in Toronto's west end [?].Strikes me as surrealist/impressionist. The image depicts a Jester (a JOLLY as a female variant). They were a specific type of clown mostly associated with the Middle Ages. Starting in Italy, Jester moved into all of Europe, influencing theatre in Spain, Holland, Germany, Austria, England, and especially, France. She wears a jester's cap, fishnet stockings [?]I think (or thought) that it depicted Jane Foole - (from Wikipedia) "also known as Jane The Foole, or - Jane, The Queen's Fool (fl. 1543-1558), was an English court jester. She was the jester of queen Catherine Parr, queen Mary I of England and possibly of queen Anne Boleyn. She has been called the only depicted female court jester."But I also believed that the "CM" might stand for Chronica Majora (as if the image was derived from CM). The Chronica Majora is an important medieval illuminated manuscript chronicle written in Latin by Matthew Paris, a Benedictine monk living in the Abbey of St Albans. The work begins with the creation of the world and contains annals up to 1259, the year of Paris's death.The problem is, IF it were Jane Foole (up to 1558), then it can't be of an image from the CM (1259). [?].______________Ronces vs Roncas:The word 'ronces' is French for either 1) brambles, or 2) blackberry.The word "roncas' is Spanish for "threat".Being the Chronica Majora was written in Latin, I translated the English word brambles to Latin. It came up 'spiros', which means either blackberry or thorn ("threat") [?]Been at this approx. 4 hrs now. Time to take a break.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks Diane - please keep me posted! As a side, I just checked my credit card and noticed another charge for $29.02. I had only authorized the initial 'good faith' deposit of $5. Please clarify why I was charged again. Thanks, Jordan.