Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner Nashville Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of Nashville Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

I have an 1866 Tennessee

Customer Question

I have an 1866 Tennessee Volunteer knife/dagger. Its a Wostenholm 1xl made in Sheffield, England. Bone handle, brass gaurd, Blade 10" long, 9/32nds thickness, handle 5" long. The word VOLUNTEER is embossed 1/32nd" into the blade with the manufactures crest , both ends of VOLUNTEER. Could you help me with this? I have limited info on George Wostenholm and have not seen anything comparable to this piece. I can take pics if you can help. Thank you for your time and consideration in this matter. Rrspectfully , Mr. Joseph **
****
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.I will be pleased to help you.Please know that I cannot accept any requests for "live conversations" such as phone calls.I give my best answers in writing when I have time to think about them.Sometimes a "Chat box" will pop-up asking if you would like a live conversation. Please know it is not from me. I researched your knife before I decided to answer. I found a knife like yours that sold at auction in 2008 for $349.95. This means the retail antiques specialty stores would price it $700 - 800. A private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60% of retail value.I hope I have helped you.If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.Kind regards.DorisIf you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put my name (Doris) at the first of the question, that will make sure it gets to me.Thank you.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you Doris, I understand that were " knock-offs" of these knives back in 30-40s and it seems that you may stumbled onto one of those. I see knives on other antigue auction sites not half the quality as this one for price tags of more than $5-6k !If you could supply me with the auction site that you drew your conclusion from that was in 2008, it would greatly justify my rating of your performance in this particular endeavor. I have to think something has to be amiss for in 1998 I was offered a $1000- for it from a knife dealer/knifemaker at national event. Could you please check your findings and get back in touch with me. Thank you for your efforts, but at this time I am not satisfied with the performance of this transaction.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
This means that I cannot authorize the additional $33- debit from my account. And this is legal notice of that decision. Sorry, at this time.
I have requested a refund for you but it would be best if you did as well.We pros that answer questions are not employees of the site - Just Answer. We can request refunds for customers but it is the site that will refund your money.Please contact support***@******.*** this address http://ww2.justanswer.com/help I wish you the best.Kind regards,Doris