Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
63759197

What is a plate under the hallmark of W.S. George titles "Mischief

Customer Question

What is a plate under the hallmark of W.S. George titles "Mischief with the Hatbox" numbered 12043 Dated 1990 worth ?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 7 months ago.
Hi Randa,Your W.S. George collector plate entitled "Mischief with the Hatbox." is after the original by the artist Henriette Ronner-Knip (1821-1909), and it is the first issue in the series "The Victorian Cat," a Bradford Exchange collection based on original works by this Dutch artist known as "The Queen of Cats."There are eight plates in the series:Mischief with the Hat BoxString QuartetDaydreamsFrisky FelinesKittens at PlayPlaying in the ParlorPerfectly PosedMidday ReposeYour plate, which should look like this one, showing a charming composition of kittens about to playfully demolish a prize hat, was produced in a "limited edition". Unfortunately that edition is not very limited, the only limitation being that it was completed in 150 firing days, which means that at least 20,000 - 50,000 were produced in that time, though records of exact numbers don't exist.This means there are a great number for sale on the secondary market, in other words auctions, on line sales (eBay, Amazon, Etsy, etc) and prices are just not that great. Your plate typically sells at auction in the range of $10 - $20. So it would have a full retail value (if you saw it for sale in a vintage store) of about $40 which is also the replacement value for insurance purposes. Add 10% to these figures if you have the original box and paperwork and another 10% if you have a wood frame that some of these were mounted in.I do hope this helps!Please let me know if I can be of further assistance with this, I would be glad to.Best wishes,Robert