AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Certified Appraiser, Appraiser's Association of America. USPAP qualified through 2015.

I bought some paintings from an old man in India. The paintings

Customer Question

I bought some paintings from an old man in India. The paintings are on a hard surface and were done in a village near Taj Mahal. He said they were his Grandfather's and he had stored them. Do you know of this technique of painting on a hard surface? I don't believe it is wood.
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What is the value of these paintings?
Expert:  Nora replied 6 months ago.
Hello, In order for me to properly assess what you have I will need to know the size and see images of the front, back (do not remove from frame) and a clear, in-focus close-up of the signature. If you had already attached images to your initial posting, they are not showing for me here on my end. Please send the photos at your convenience. There is not an extra charge to provide more pictures here. ~Nora
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
These are pictures of some of the paintings.
Expert:  Nora replied 6 months ago.
Hi, Thank you for the images. Please allow me some time to look these over for you. ~Nora
Expert:  Nora replied 6 months ago.
Hi, I have not yet located a match to this style. I will continue to look for you, however in the meantime I will opt-out and open your question again to all the experts at no additional charge. If someone knows the answer they will post a response to you here. You do not need to re-list your question and this does not cost you extra. There is not a guarantee that you will receive a response. ~Nora
Expert:  AppraiserJM replied 6 months ago.
Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser, and I'd be happy to help.The photos are a bit unclear. There are two possibilities, both popular in India and throughout Persian.This could be enamel work, with the enamel colors baked onto a thin metal sheet.Or it could be painted on marble, a technique popular in Rajasthan.What is your thinking? Can you tell which it might be?Jennifer