Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry

Robert S. Robert: Just ,

Customer Question

For Mr. Robert S.Hello Robert: Just for starters, whatever they pay you it's not enough. Trying to get decent pictures of the scribbles on the bottom of these four pieces has given me a monumental headache. Robert the round plate underneath the coffee server did not come with this set as it clearly states on the backside that it's Reed & Barton. I am not certain about the large serving tray as I am having trouble finding anything that resembles a Makers Mark, but I'm going to continue to look and will send a follow up later. My question is: Can you identify the maker of these four items that go together as a Coffee and Tea Set. The markings in the attached picture came from the bottom of the Coffee Server. The Tea server has a similar marking but it says "R378/4. and has what looks like the # ***** 7577 or 7571 with a line underneath it. That particular scratching is extremely hard to see.I have no clue what these or the other markings say or mean.One more thing, the Coffee Server sits flat with a round base while the other three items have four round marble sized (I don't know what they are called) support thingy's. I would like to sell the whole thing as a set, but I have looked at about 100 different pictures of Silver/Silver Plate Coffee and Tea sets and nothing comes close to matching the pattern shown here. Can you help me please.All the best,
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Please forward to Mr. Robert S.:
Hi Robert, I have attached some more photo's which hopefully will help.
All the best,WGB
Expert:  Robert S. replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for the appreciative comments! You're very kind.You did very well to photograph the marks, good for you! Although sadly they tell us very little. These are what are called 'scratchmarks': retailer date or stock code scratched by hand discreetly on the base somewhere as a marking that has no significance outside the jeweler's or retailer's store where it was part of the inventory at one time.So the only printed mark on any of the pieces you can find is on the underplate for the coffee pot, correct?Also, have you had the set tested for sterling silver? A good local jeweler will do that for you in two minutes. Having said that, I don't want to get your hopes up because if it doesn't say "STERLING" or "925" anywhere then it's almost certainly silverplate.Let me hear back on the above, and I'll then give you a full answer and a value.Best wishes,Robert.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I will work on your requests and get back to you.
Thank you and all the best,