Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry

I just saw the WWI Antiques Roadshow on the ABC. My mother's

Customer Question

I just saw the WWI Antiques Roadshow on the ABC. My mother's father Arthur Smith worked for the War Graves Commission after WWI. Our family always knew that he was one of two men who knew the identity of the unknown warrior and was sworn to secrecy. He died at 49/50 yrs old. A cousin has more of his details but I wanted to make contact with you now while it is on my mind, because their may be links to the Rev Kendall and who accompanied him.
It would be lovely to have a contact to start with.
My mother was Priscilla Agnes Smith, born January 13 1910. She was one one 6 children, and she passed away in Bathurst NSW Australia on Nov 14 2011. On Nov 11 while in hospital she was talking to her deceased father constantly, and telling us, two of her three daughters, that he was a real soldier. It was a very emotional few days before she was over-sedated and went into a coma. She dearly loved her father and told us other stories of his life.
I hadn't done anything about my grandfather's history, apart from visiting the Unknown Warrior's grave in Westminster Abbey and feeling very proud. However, today while driving back to Bathurst, I listened to the ABC and stories of the Great War that are now in print - written by Australians about Australians. Anzac Day is on 25th April, and is a big deal here in Australia.
I know that my grandfather was a compassionate, religious man and a warden of an Anglican church.
My contact details are:
Ms Gwenda Davies
mobile phone: 0402 050 770
postal address: PO BOX 9114 Bathurst West NSW 2795 Australia
I can provide more details from my cousin, but he is in Queensland at present after the tragic death of his son in a road accident. I will wait a week or so out of respect.
Thank you very much,
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 6 months ago.
Hi Gwenda, How may I help you here? ~Nora