Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017

I have a civil war letter from my third great grandfather dated

Customer Question

I have a civil war letter from my third great grandfather dated Dec. 30th, 63 with the stamped envelope. I was told the value of the letter depended on the content such as location, events, military, etc. He mentions " marching until they marched themselves barefoot chasing down old Hood" in ten inches of snow. Also the lack of rations and general conditions. Also one of his relatives, James was a prisoner at Andersonville, and was ill after marching 250 miles to end up there. James also told my grandfather that he had run into a fellow company man there who had been in Chickamauga before ending up there. He gives very vivid detail to the conditions and injuries as well as kindness given along the way. Also what seems odd to me is that the paper he used is faintly lined, and he uses every square inch of it even writing up the edges and even upside down. I would really like to know the value of this. thank you Leslie Clarki
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 6 months ago.
Hi, Your letter can sell for $150 - $250 on average. I highly recommend contacting Derin Bray at***@******.*** or(###) ###-####as he is actively searching for Civil War era letters. ~Nora
Expert:  Nora replied 6 months ago.
Hello, Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance? Please let me know. Sincerely, Nora