Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017

We have what we think is an Italian Marquetry Music Table.

Customer Question

We have what we think is an Italian Marquetry Music Table. It was at a garage sale 8 years ago. They got it from a closing monastery~ where it had been donated. It appears to have plexiglass on it. How do we get it off without ruining it?
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Here is another pic
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
And another
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Table leg up close
Expert:  Nora replied 6 months ago.
Hello, Yes, this is indeed a vintage Italian Marquetry Music Table. The finish on it is a type of Nitrocellulose lacquer. I personally do not do repairs on items myself, though if you are so inclined, here are some tips on how to try to repair cracked lacquer: On today's market, your table sells for a high average of $200 - $300. ~Nora
Expert:  Nora replied 6 months ago.
Hello, Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance? Please let me know. Sincerely, Nora
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I checked it and took it to a local appraiser. It was painted over by someone and screwed up... Not worth anything is what they said😟
Expert:  Nora replied 6 months ago.
Hello, From the images, this does not appear to have been painted over. I have handled and sold a fair number of vintage Italian marquetry furniture and your piece, again from the photos, does not appear out of the norm nor re-painted. ~Nora