Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

Old Pocket Watch 14 It is at least 100 yrs of age and in excellent

Customer Question

Old Pocket Watch 14 It is at least 100 yrs of age and in excellent condition the name is***** with the #133478
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 10 months ago.
Hello,My name is ***** ***** I would love to help.I will need to see a picture of the watch, dial, inner case mark on the mark (serial number) on the movement (the guts and gears). Let me know if it has a cover over the dial or not. Note that any number on the gold case is not the serial number. The serial numbers of a pocket watch is always on the movement.Use the Add Files feature on your screen to add photos. This feature works best if you add one hit send then do the next.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
There is a cover over the dial and a cover over the back of the watch, there is also a small dial showing numbers every 10 minutes and I will try to see the inner case markings and it is 14K gold. I cannot send you a picture at this time because I will have to get my granddaughter to do that but I will need your email address. This watch has ornate pattern on the outside covers.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am going to cancel this request at the moment and go over to my granddaughters house and get her to send this information through to you as I am not computer savvy .
There is no time limit here, so no worries.If you want to email pictures, use the same email you used to create your account. Send to***@******.*** and put 'for rarewares in antiques' in the subject line.So, the covers over the dial mean it is a hunter case watch. The 14k marking will need to be seen because some makers used this mark but is was 14k gold-filled. Knowing the other symbols there will help me to determine that.Are you able to get the back open? That is where most of the important information is about the watch. I can tell alot just by having the name on that movement and the number.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hello again, I know gold and this watch is gold and I have also seen gold-filled which this is not, I am frightened to open the back because I do not want to scratch this watch as it has been in the family for over 100 yrs. I will get back to you hopefully today and I only will need a one time answer I am not interested in signing up for monthly charges as there are some antique dealers around here but have not approached because I prefer to get a more experienced answer because I am not sure if my grandpa purchased this in Marsielles France or England when he came from Europe.
I will wait to hear from you again. Do not be frightened to open the back, it is the only way to know who made this. Maybe take it to a small hometown jeweler that can open it for you.
Just checking in to see if you were able to get the back open or take photos?Please let me know.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi there rarewaresI ran out of time to go and get the back off the watch but hopefully I will do that on Mon.April 25, I have not forgot about you.Sylvia
That was yesterday, maybe you mean May 2nd?