Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have an old book written in Hebrew, my great great grandfather

Customer Question

I have an old book written in Hebrew, my great great grandfather obtained it in Brazil. I am interested in having it appraised. The book is at home, where I have a little more information. I am checking now to see where to start. Can you help. Thanks
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hello, At your convenience, please provide images of the cover and title/publisher page(s). ~Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The book was printed in the late 1640s the publisher is Menadseh Ben Israel. This information came from a professor at Wake Forest University. My father spoke with the professor who thru a friend of my father's has a daughter who also works at WFU and took the book for the professor to look at. I will attach copies of written information received and of the book
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the additional information. ~Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are three books total my sister has one, I have one, and then there is this book. My father recently turned 87 and gave this book to me to find out more information and to get it appraised. So this is where I went first. The last several pictures, I am sending are of the second book given to me by my father. All three books were purchased from an Indian Male in Brazil by my great great grandfather. It is believed he traded tobacco for the books but of course we have no way of knowing I'd this is true or not. The old Jacobs Tobacco Company was somehow owned or had something to do with our family so there is always that possibility.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I'd is supposed to be if.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The written information should make your research a lot easier
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi, At your convenience, please send images of the cover of the book and the title/publisher page(s). ~Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I sent approximately 10 photos last night?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I sent several again, did they go thru? The green check mark appeared in front of each image and I hit the send button. Several times, so if you get numerous pics, sorry.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi, There are no images showing on my end here. There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos: http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert ~Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I used the +Add files and after each picture a green ck mark appeared as the loaded and then I hit send. So sorry, where ever they are I have now sent them about 10 times lol. I am on my way to work now. So if I have a break I will send them if not I will try again tomorrow. I am a detective in law enforcement so I may or may not have a break but will try. Thank you and my apologies for no pictures
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Stay Safe! You can try emailing your images to***@******.*** and write “For Nora/Antiques” in the subject line of the email. Photos sent by email do not arrive to me directly nor instantly, they get forwarded to me by admin. ~Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks will do
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
:)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try it again
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am hoping by sending a few at the time will work!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure the pages are in order but hopefully after you print them you will see the numbers at the top. I hope this helps. Look forward to hearing from you soon. Linda
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thank you for the images. Please allow me some time to look these over for you. ~Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Glad they went through
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi There, I am not able to find any leads on this with the given information. I will opt-out and open your question again to all the experts at no additional charge. If someone knows the answer they will post a response to you here. You do not need to re-list your question and this does not cost you extra. There is not a guarantee that you will receive a response. I will not be able to respond back after opting-out I do hope you find the information that you seek. ~Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, Nora for your help.