Wayne, Auctioneer
Experience:  40 yrs. experience in antiques, jewelry, coins and paintings - ASA 1985

I have been unsuccessful in researching an Estate find.

Customer Question

Hello, I have been unsuccessful in researching an Estate find. It is an ornate gilt cast iron framed mirror which measures 17" x 26" weighing over 15 pounds. There are no markings that I can find regarding the manufacture.
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am having trouble attaching all of the photos I have taken.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I think there might have been an easel attached to the back at one point.
Expert:  Wayne replied 6 months ago.
Hi,My name is***** have been dealing in and appraising antiques for over 40 years, and I can help you with this.This was made circa 1900. Similar mirrors in size, style, quality and condition are selling for $80-100 at auction and insurance value is $200.Thank you,Wayne
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am very disappointed in the response. I was expecting more information regarding the origin of mirror then "Circa 1900".
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I knew the mirror was from the Victorian period and do not think your response is worth $33.00.
Expert:  Wayne replied 6 months ago.
Hi,There is no maker information for this. Origin American. These were mass produced as a more affordable option to hand carved frames. Most cast iron frames were done through a sand casting method as opposed to the lost wax process used for bronze.With these cast iron frames they would make an impression with either a carved wood or plaster casting to make an impression in fine sand where molten iron would be poured in the mold, resulting in a iron copy of the image impressed into the sand. Later the cast frame would be sand blasted or polished to be smooth. Later finished with gold, bronze, silver paint etc.Thank you,Wayne