Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner Nashville Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of Nashville Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

British military gorget

Customer Question

British military gorget
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.I will be pleased to help you.Please know that I cannot accept any requests for "live conversations" such as phone calls.I give my best answers in writing when I have time to think about them.Sometimes a "Chat box" will pop-up asking if you would like a live conversation. Please know it is not from me. Am I seeing a pair of gorgets for two soldiers in your image? Kind regards,Doris
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes also here's a tribal stamp on the inside. Somebody said they were of the Zulu tribe.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I hope you knew I was curious how much they were worth. :))
They are British Military Gorgets made before 1796. Before 1796, the British Royal Crest was used on gorget as shows here in yours.After 1796, the Royal cypher (initials) were used.They originated long before as part of steel medieval armor meant to protect the throat.In the 18thC they became mainly ornamental and largely worn by officers to signify their rank.The marks inside designate the maker.Yours are worth $800-950 each.A private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60% of retail value.I hope I have helped you.If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.Kind regards.DorisIf you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put my name (Doris) at the first of the question, that will make sure it gets to me.Thank you.
Hi there!I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?Let me know,Kind regards,Doris