Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I would like to try and find some information on a headboard

Customer Question

I would like to try and find some information on a headboard that my husband brought home. Its very nice, Its black lacquer, With some kind of metal etching of Swallows in a storm. Its very heavy, looks like maybe an asian design. I can make out the signature, but i have taken some pictures. If someone could help identify this piece it would be greatly appreciated
Category: Antiques
Expert:  LadyTanya65 replied 7 months ago.
Hello my name is***** am a certified appraiser. It does look to be Asian. Is the white marble or jade? The wood work looks lovely and the age of this appears to be 1970-1980s. You say it is signed where is the signature and what is the name? How is the back mounted? All of this will help in my evaluation to give you an accurate value.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Tanya, It is not marble or jade, It is some sort of a metal ,maybe acid washed, that's something we found online. Here's a few more pictures, one with the signature it's outlined. And the back is wood. I hope that helps. Thanks
Thank you for the clarity on the material. Helps me when I can not see and feel the item in person. In these photos I can tell it is metal. It appears to be an acid washed steel. The artist signature I can not make out so I will opt out and allow the question to open to others and see if they know this piece. I will continue to work on the piece and if I find more information I will post back here. You will not need to do anything and it will not cost you anything more. Thank you
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
We were wondering if you talked to anyone else about this piece, because we still have no answers. Thank you.
Hello, I had not talked to anyone it was open for any of the other appraisers to answer if they would know. I have looked up several of these however and find the value to be 1***-**-****.00 for the headboard. It is a nice piece. Very unique headboard and these were more special order then out in the general market. It would take time to sell as it would be a customer looking for a unique headboard. I am not able to make out the signature however these were sold in New York in the late 1970s early 1980s. If you have a more specific question please let me know.