Wayne, Auctioneer
Experience:  40 yrs. experience in antiques, jewelry, coins and paintings - ASA 1985

I have a 20c longines pocket watch. Longines curator of the

Customer Question

I have a 20c longines pocket watch. Longines curator of the museum states it was sent to Georges Agassiz while in NY. I have traced the watch from an attic in Maine to Waltham Mass. Ironically enough this was the same time Georges visited with his uncle Louis agassiz a famous professor at Hartford ,just across the river from Cambridge . Louis also had a famous friend dr. Hill, whose home was considered Louis's second home! I want to sell it in good running condition. Longines tells me hey have very little from George thank you for any aid you can give me,,,Errol Stewart
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Wayne replied 6 months ago.
Hi,My name is***** have been dealing in and appraising watches for over 40 years, and I can help you with this. Please tell me the serial number on the movement? Is this 14k, 18k or gold filled?Can you post a photo of this?1.Click the paperclip icon2.Click the Browse icon3.Click the Browse button4.Select your file and click Open5.Click OK6.Click Insert7.Click Save Changes on this page
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
If you could call(###) ###-####I find more gets across than with text
Due to uncertainty on my part how will the serial number aid ? It was and is an honest transaction and was dormant in an attic for perhaps more than 50 years
The watch is sterling and engraved with longines and George Agassiz names on case and movement
According to Jennifer with longines curator dept it is a 20c
I feel strongly this went from George to Louis or just carried by George
Longines has no record of it being a personal watch but that means little as George was operations mgr and a gift or just keeping it for self is totally within reason
Let's talk ok. I will give the number to you if necessary
I want to sell it and have been quoted informally prices all over the board
Thanks for your aid on my. Quest Errol
Expert:  Wayne replied 6 months ago.
Hi,The serial number will tell me what year it was made. The value is mostly in the watch; however; who owned it will add to the value. Longines made the watch but this was sold to Agassiz by a Jeweler who sold Longines watches. Thanks,Wayne
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Wayne
Longines tells me the month and day and year which is 1872
George was the son of auguste who was the owner and founder since 1832 it most certainly would make the difference as the watch although great for its time is not a complicated piece
By the way when I clicked on this site to persue this it stated being with the roadshow is that true
Expert:  Wayne replied 6 months ago.
Hi,Is this key wind or stem wind? Is this hunting case or open face and please tell me the size of the watch diameter in inches or mm?Thanks,Wayne
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Dear Wayne , I happen to be the owner of the watch repair center in Camden Maine and also the the northeast GemLab . I only went to this site because I saw the ad indicating this was with the antiques roadshow. I have been researching this watch for 4 years and know it literally from the inside out. If you are giving me the generic answer from cooksey sugart
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Shugart this is a total waste of my time and yours. To tell me that the value was in the watch itself was my first red flag. A simple ball point pen from Elvis Presley would be valued, not by other pens but by the ownership of such! Thus is the case with my watch, perhaps you know George Agassiz and perhaps not, but his uncle is world famous, and has buildings and streets named after him in Massachusetts .
If you can really aid me, then great, but the value of the watch alone and all about it I am aware of,and to go further is more of a waste, especially if you are not affiliated with the antiques road show, which to this point you have not answered. I am not trying to be disrespectful, but I cannot waste time much less money ,on frivolous things..
Expert:  Wayne replied 6 months ago.
Hi,I don't think that you have researched this watch as an expert such as yourself should have including "Jennifer". This watch was Made by George Agassiz and No relation to the people in Boston. Here is some history, a great article about the watch. The Agassiz Watch Company was established in 1876 by Georges Agassiz, however it was Georges father, Auguste who first established a watch dealership that was the catalyst for the company to be set up.The Company is always associated with another great name in horology circles; Longines, and Georges was earlier involved in the running of the Longines project as their finance and marketing manager, about ten years prior to him setting up alone and operating as the "Agassiz Watch Company". Do not be surprised if you happen to come across a watch with "Agassiz-Longines" on the face, as these were produced at times throughout the company's lifespan.Always a man of high standards, Georges set up his company with a vision to create timepieces that would be world famous for their quality of manufacture and precision. Right from the start it was decided that they would make whole watches and not use cheap imported watch cases for any of their movements.A breakthrough for Georges came in 1889, when the company was awarded a special award in recognition of the quality of its movements at the World Exhibition of Watches held in Paris. The award of the prestigious Gold Medal for its contribution to the world of horology confirmed Agassiz as a major world player in quality watch manufacture.After twenty years behind the helm, he handed over the running of the business to Auguste Sandoz. This change led to a wider range of Agassiz watches being developed, with the use of precious stones and high quality jewelery work being done on cases and dials. Complicated movements were also developed and housed in ultra-thin cases, a major development for the time that made their watches more attractive, wearable and importantly kept the company visible to a worldwide watch buying public.In the early to mid 1900s, the Company established a reputation as a supplier of high-grade repeater pocket watch movements, chronometers and great looking, almost military style watches. They also branched out into making clocks, with some fine 8-Day movements.For the collector, Agassiz watches are very affordable, even though they appear to be quite rare when compared with some other watch brands. If you are short on funds, this should be one manufacturer that you take a look at. Fine quality and good looks would make this a great addition to any fine watch collection.And Yes we are affiliated with the road show. This is why I asked about the watch itself!Thank you,Wayne
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My dear Wayne
I truly want any aid I may receive and as I stated I am not trying to be disrespectful nor want to be that, I am sure of your qualifications. I did however mention that texting stinks as so much can be read into this via letters on a page.
So please forgive me if I offended you, I surely didn't set out to do that!
Please remember that I have spent 4 years on this. I turned 70 in February and have been in the watch repair business for 30 of those years,as well as my brother going to bulova's school in the early 60's. I may be wrong but I feel I know a lot about the Agassiz family and the complete history of longines, and part of the history of colonel George Agassiz .
The only reason I look at Boston is the provenance of the watch puts it there as well as history putting George there as well as Louis as well as the the watchmakers family who owned the house in Maine. I really want any help to add to the story and sell the watch, at 70 how long do I have. My wife is 20years younger and it will aid her.
Perhaps a phone call will aid this discussion as I truly hate all this email stuff, wrong thoughts and motives are so easily promoted and I assure you I don't want that o happen.
I just tell you first off though that I don't understand your first paragraph about Jennifer etc. so here is my phone.(###) ###-#### *****'s talk please forgive me if I seemed to disrespect you I didn't mean to. Sincerely. Errol Stewart
Expert:  Wayne replied 6 months ago.
Hi,No hard feelings. Thanks,Wayne