Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.

Silver halmark 800 and H L

Customer Question

Silver halmark 800 and H L
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for the image of the mark which has just been forwarded to me.Could you very kindly attach a photo of the item itself, that the mark is on.Many thanks,Robert. PS. Once you have the photos in your computer (if you are using a smart phone camera, just email them to yourself) it's then a simple matter to attach them. Just click on the paperclip icon, located above the text box where you are typing to me. If there's no paperclip, click on the "Add files" tab.If you get stuck go here for help.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm sorry but I do not know what this mark is on.
All I know is it is a silver hallmark.
This for a research project.
Okay, I understand. Leave this with me, Sandra, and I'll have a full answer for you as soon as I can.Best wishes,Robert.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The book of Old Silver - English, American,Foreign by Seymour Wyler page 375 bottom right side has the hallmark but no further explanation that I can find and I need the details.
Thank you.
Yes, I noticed that Seymour Wyler reproduces your mark there in his The book of Old Silver.Those tables of marks he included in the back under the heading "Other European Marks" were lifted wholesale (without any new information) from a much earlier German publication called Der Goldschmiede Merkzeichen ("The Goldsmiths' Marks") written by Dr. Marc Rosenberg and published in 1890. He lists it as mark "#9556" but is unattributed.In his "Hand Book to Foreign Hall Marks on Gold and Silver Plate" (published 1898) ***** ***** Markham, F.S.A. mentions a mark "HL linked above S in a trefoil" on page 23 under Augsberg silversmith marks from the last quarter of the 17th century but again, no name is ***** ***** the mark is a little different. However, silversmiths often changed their marks slightly from time to time, but maintaining the same letters, so this could well be a variation of the same maker, and at least this narrows it down Augsberg.When you go back to the 1500s and most of the 1600s very few records of silversmith namses survive other than in the initials on these ancient pieces of silver which are a lot less perishable than anything written on paper or parchment.I wish I could tell you more, but sometimes there just isn't any further information.I do hope this helps!Best wishes,Robert
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Do you think this is this a silver plate mark?
It's not a silverplate mark, this is a low grade pure silver, as indicated by the "800". This means 800 parts pure silver out of 1000 parts metal, in other words 80% pure, sometimes referred to as "coin" silver, and a little lower in purity than sterling which is 925 parts pure silver out of 1000 parts metal.