Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.

I have a 41x61 french tapestry no date panneaus gobelin in

Customer Question

i have a 41x61 french tapestry no date panneaus gobelin in great condition
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 6 months ago.
Hi Winnie,My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your French tapestry.Could you very kindly attach a photo of it and one of the label if it has one and I'll appraise it for you.Many thanksRobert. PS. Once you have the photos in your computer (if you are using a smart phone camera, just email them to yourself) it's then a simple matter to attach them. Just click on the paperclip icon, located above the text box where you are typing to me. If there's no paperclip, click on the "Add files" tab.If you get stuck go here for help.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
where is the paper clip
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
what is your email address?
I'm sorry you're having difficulty attaching photos.The paperclip icon is located just above the text box where you are typing to me on your computer. You will need to be logged in to your JustAnswer account and not operating from your email, otherwise it won't be there.Also, there's no need to respond to any phone request, it will cost you an extra $18 which you don't need to pay. The phone requests appear to come from me, but do NOT, they are automatically generated by the site, along with all the other stuff you are bombarded with for free trials and subscription offers and the like. Please ignore. By all means send the photos by email, the only address that gets to me is***@******.*** the email for my attention, Robert S. in the Antiques category otherwise they won't know who to send it to. I work "on" rather than "for" JustAnswer as an independent agent so all emails have to go through a third party to protect everyone's privacy. It may take up to 24 hours, but I'll let you know as soon as I see it this end.Hope this makes sense!Best wishes,Robert
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I just sent 2 pics
Okay great! Got them, thanks. That's all I need.Is this a family heirloom or did you acquire it? Do you have any history for it?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Family heirloom no history just the label
Okay, thanks. From the design of the label I would say your tapestry dates to the 1950s or 1960s but no earlier. The company Panneaux Gobelins has been around for centuries and is still in existence today producing these beautiful scenic wall hangings and related objects such as carpets and luggage. They currently operate from 42 avenue des Gobelins, Paris, near the Les Gobelins métro station in the XIIIe arrondissement.They are best known as a royal purveyor of tapestries to the court of Louis XIV and subsequent French kings. The historic tapestry works where they used to be made are now under the control of the French Ministry of Culture and open for guided tours several afternoons per week by appointment.This is a large piece, for sure, the label gives the dimensions (Taille) of 115 cm X 170 cm (45 inches X 67 inches). As such, if you were to sell at auction or on line (eBay etc) it would fetch in the range of $200 - $300. It therefore has a full retail value (if you were to see it for sale in a vintage store) of $600 which is the full replacement or insurance value.I do hope this helps!Best wishes,Robert
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you so much Robert
You are very welcome!