Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

Need knowledge, history, and value of this painting

Customer Question

Category: Antiques
Expert:  AppraiserJM replied 7 months ago.
Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser, and I'd be happy to help.I'm trying to decipher the artist's name, because the title and image aren't bringing any results. I see the last name is***** can't really read the first name. I've tried both Winslow and Winston. Do you have any idea of what the first name may be? Sometimes it's easier when you have a painting in front of you and can move it around, then when I'm trying to look at a flat photo.Jennifer
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It is I believe Burnett or Bennett.
I need help with the first name. Any thoughts?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Winton Windsor
I'm sorry, I'm unable to find any matches for you. I'll re-open the question to the other appraisers. You don't need to do anything, or pay any other fees.Sincerely,Jennifer
Expert:  Tim in Antiques replied 7 months ago.
Good day my name is***** am a Certified IRS Qualified Fine and Decorative Art Appraiser. It will be a pleasure to put my expertise, libraries, resources, and experience in the field to work for you. I have the photographs and the information you gave to Jennifer. I will see what I can find out for you.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Awesome Thanks
So far I looked at any major or well known with the last name of Burnett (around 37) and have ruled that out. I just had another appraiser look at the name and we both thing it is Bennett. There over 200 so it will take time to work through the list.
TimothyThe most likely match is: William Rubery BENNETT (1893-1987). The signature come very close he signs Rubery Bennett. The top of the R is open and the b looks like an L. The odd thing is he is an Australian artist.
William Rubery Bennett, landscape painter, was born Brisbane in 1893.He studied at the Royal Queensland Art Society School in Brisbane and in Sydney under John Salvana, Lawson Balfour and Fred Britten.He moved to Sydney, where he conducted the Rubery Bennett Art Gallery in the 1930s and 1940s, dealing mostly in Australian impressionistic painters.He was one of the first to exhibit the work of Tom Garrett (1929) and later himself became a popular painter of late impressionistic landscapes, his aim being to capture the pervading light of summer landscapes, his preferred subject matter. He worked mainly in NSW.He died in 1987.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What is your confidence level that this is his work? And your oponion of value?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Maybe you have a picture of the signature your using that seems similar? What I can see online don't really look right.
I am not 100% on it. He comes close. Is this on canvas board?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No just canvas
Timothy, Rubery Bennett used mostly canvas board.Well this one has me stumped.I have looked at the work of just about every listed artist with the name of Bennett and can not nail it down. If you like I can opt out this will open the question for some one else to look at.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes I would like to see if there is an answer to this. I feel looking at it that it is quality.