Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have a Samurai Sword given to me by a Widow whose late husband

Customer Question

I have a Samurai Sword given to me by a Widow whose late husband owned it. Judging by some of his other possessions it would not be a imitation. How can I find out what it is worth?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Customer,My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to appraise your samurai sword.All I need are some good clear photos of it and the inscriptions on it, which will be on the tang under the handle (tsuka). If you are not familiar with taking the handle apart by removing the two pegs, here's a short video on disassembling the sword that's very helpful.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1ENe07nHDMMany thanks,Robert. PS. Once you have the photos in your computer (if you are using a smart phone camera, just email them to yourself) it's then a simple matter to attach them. Just click on the paperclip icon, located above the text box where you are typing to me. If there's no paperclip, click on the "Add files" tab.If you get stuck go here for help.http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Robert, for your time and kindness. I think I have found that the sword is not what I was hoping it was. First it has no pegs and it does not seem to come apart. It is made of steel and not Aluminum but has no markings on the blade itself. I think I am done with this matter.
Customer
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.
Okay, no problem. It does indeed sound like a recent reproduction. How disappointing for you.Best wishes,Robert