Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I received from my mother a outsized cup and saucer that I

Customer Question

I received from my mother a outsized cup and saucer that I would like to know more about:
CUP = 4" high, 4 1/2" across, 3 1/4" handle released at mid-line to form about 2" circle.
Pattern is of large 1"5/8 deep blue leaves, top painted with gold edges and veins.
over branch tips of smaller tan leaves edged in brown with little buds (shaped like
lilies of the valley) in a deep orangey color. All over an off-white (ecru?)
Base is 1/4 high", 2 15/16" across.
Markings are obscure: two tiny 1/4 red little brush marks, crossed at their bases
a small black checkmark, a 1/5" wavy line of blue, heavier at each end.
SAUCER = 6" across in same pattern. Raised base 5" in diameter.
Marks are different from cup: a thin red line looking like the outline of an ear or
a reverse 3; a fine gold T .25", both near rim, and a blue 1/8" x 1/4" T at
center.
This is not fine porcelain but is a cut above earthenware. The cup has a high glaze and crackled look behind the pattern; the saucer does not have the crackling look behind the pattern.
I have had this set for almost 60 years, and remember it being in my mother's home
before that.
Any suggestions you can give me on its origin and worth would be most appreciated.
Eleanor
Richmond IN
Category: Antiques
Expert:  AppraiserJM replied 7 months ago.
Hi, my name is*****’m a certified appraiser, and I’d be happy to help.In order to appraise your item, I’ll need clear, well-lit photos, both overall and any distinguishing marks, labels, stamps, signatures, or details.Photo upload instructions can be found on this page:http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hlIf that doesn’t work for you, please contact Customer Support for help. You can find their contacts in the box on the upper right on this page:http://ww2.justanswer.com/helpPlease note:1) After receiving your response, it may take me some time to research your item, and/or I may not be available if there has been a delay between my question and your response. I do promise to get back to you as soon as I have some information for you.2) I do not handle appraisals by phone, as I feel it is more productive to work through messages. If you get a phone call request, it has come from the auto-reply system, NOT from me. Please ignore.Sincerely,Jennifer
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Here are ipod photos of the cup in question. Hope this helps.
Thank you. I'll also need a photo of the mark.Jennifer
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm not sure these were transferred the first time I tried. I hope these help. There are no major marks on either
of the pieces except the few small ones on the bottom of the cup, image 0110.
Sorry for the delay, I was not able to get on all weekend.I'll research this now.Jennifer
I'm sorry, I'm unable to match this for you. I am going to open to the other appraisers. You don't need to do anything and won't be charged more. Hopefully someone else will be familiar with this pattern or mark.Jennifer
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks. I knew this is a tough one. The cup has the feeling of basic "china" but a high glaze like imari ware.
The little crossed red brush strokes and wavy blue line on the cup, plus the gold T on the saucer, don't give
much information. I'll look forward to hearing what others have to say.