Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner Nashville Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of Nashville Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

I have an oil painting by Else Berg, which was given to

Customer Question

Hi, I have an oil painting by Else Berg, which was given to my grandparents before she died at Auschwitz in 1942. The dimensions are 33"w x 43 h. It is a still life with fruit, flowers and two vases on a tabletop. I am wondering its value for insurance purposes.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome, Michelle. My name is ***** ***** been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.I will be pleased to help you.Please know that I cannot accept any requests for "live conversations" such as phone calls.I give my best answers in writing when I have time to think about them.Sometimes a "Chat box" will pop-up asking if you would like a live conversation. Please know it is not from me. Thank you for the information and photo.Please allow me time to research the data required by your question, calculate current values and write my answer.I should be back within 40 minutes.I thank you in advance for your patience.Kind regards,Doris
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ok thank you.
Else Berg, from the Netherlands, dates 1877-1942. When assessing an artist's work, appraisers must look at sales of works by the same artist.When using comparable work by the same artist, medium, subject matter and size are factors to be considered.Appraisers most often use price per square inch of previously sold comparable works by the same artist as a measure of value. Using this standard method of assessment, I was able to determine an insurance replacement value of $55,300 assuming good condition. A private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60% of retail value.I hope I have helped you.If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.Kind regards.DorisIf you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put my name (Doris) at the first of the question, that will make sure it gets to me.Thank you.
Hi there!I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?Let me know,Kind regards,Doris