Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

Now that I am a member I would like to ask and send

Customer Question

Now that I am a member I would like to ask and send some pictures of my antique items but I do not know if it has to be one by on photo. I would like to know the appraisal value and details of each item...
I stard with one and them you tell, thank you.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 8 months ago.
Hi Silvia,My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your antiques.Let's start with the table:Do you have the marble top for it? If so, could you attach a photo.Also please can you add a photo of the inside where the leg joins the top.Also, is that damage to the leg broken right through?Many thanks,Robert.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The marble top has broken a long time ago. So it does not exist....
Yes there is a damage in the leg.
I do not have a photo of the inside. I have to go to the storage so I will try in this days....So.....
What a pity the marble is damaged, was it red like this one?Also, do you happen to know where all this furniture originated? Which country? This piece looks Italian, for instance.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yes it was like the photo you sent to me.
My father bought all these items in auctions in Madrid ( i am spanish) so I thing they have to be from Europe....
Aha! Madrid, that explains it. Thanks for letting me know. I could tell this table was not quite the French Louis XV I am familiar with. This is the style of king Charles (Carlos) III (1759–1788) but not as old as that. I would date it to the late 1800s or early 1900s.It's a very nice parcel-gilt & painted table (missing its marble top) in a Louis XV rococo revival style with applied and gilded rocaille and acanthus crest centering the apron and espagnolette carving en suite on the cabriole legs, joined with an X-form stretcher and central carved roceille finial.The damage to the leg and the loss of the marble top are going to reduce the value quite a bit.As is, this piece would fetch $250 - $400 at auction. It therefore has a full retail/replacement/insurance value of $750 in its current condition.I do hope this helps!Please let me know if you'd like me to explain or expand on any of the above.Best wishes,Robert When you are ready, please go ahead and start a new question for the next piece and make sure you put "For Robert S. only......" in the title of the question and it will be sure to get to me! Thanks. R.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Oh! Thank you! What a pity the marble!!
The only thing I thing i do not undertand very much is:
....."It therefore has a full retail/replacement/insurance value of $750 in its current condition"So now i will send you the other photo in another question..
The "retail" value is the theoretical value that you would see it priced at, if it were for sale in an antique store. This is also the replacement value for insurance purposes (as an item of furniture in your home)