Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

My great grandmother (1880-1952) had a silver cross necklace

Customer Question

My great grandmother (1880-1952) had a silver cross necklace that I inherited. It is a silver and wood crucifix. There is a turn screw at the top of the cross that when removed, allows the cross to slide open to reveal a reliquary. In the reliquary are the words: Pius (at top) Bonifacii, Agnus D, Meinradi, (across the cross) and S. Basiläus, Venantius, Mauritii M (up the bottom of the cross). There are many round gold decorations (I do have a picture, but can't attach to this).
There is a circular stamp that says GERMANY. No other marks. The necklace joins with piece of metal stamped on both sides and marked with the word Sterling and then has a single chain that joins with the cross. The metal has a picture of Madonna and the Christ child and the other probably Jesus on the front. The word sterling is stamped on the Madonna side. The beads are strung with ten small beads between larger beads. Not sure what they are made from.
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It is a rosary not a necklace.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Here is another picture.
Expert:  Nora replied 8 months ago.
Hello, May I please know what information you are seeking on this Rosary? ~Nora
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Any information would be helpful, I really don't know anything about it. When was it made? What is the significance of the items in the reliquary? Would it likely to have belonged to a nun or would anyone own a rosary like this? Thank you!
Expert:  Nora replied 8 months ago.
Hi, Would it be possible to send very clear, in-focus, extreme close-ups of the words you mention on this and the sterling/Germany mark. ~Nora
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have attached a picture of the Germany mark on the back of the crucifix, also two versions of the Sterling mark. There is a picture of the inside of the cross and close ups of the top (one paper is hard to see, it reads Pius), middle and lower parts of the interior. The crucifix is silver in color, in some pictures it is hard to tell. Hope this helps.