Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017

Doll. How do I tell what type of antique doll I have? She is

Customer Question

Doll. How do I tell what type of antique doll I have? She is dressed in a pinafire dress with a lace cape and matching hat. She has the shoes on and socks. Body is stuffed felt. Arms and legs are attached and move freely/ seen into the doll. Bisque face with marble eyes . we have always called her "Fish Eyes". Do you think there is any Mark I can find for a brand?
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What kind of detail do you need? She stands 12 inches tall. Her clothes are sewn on. The pantaloons are tied in tightly at the waist with a white string. Even though there is a crack in the face, all of the bisque is still there and could be repositioned and glued. She has been loved and played with fir a long time. I am 60, and she was already an antique when I was a toddler. Never washed.
Expert:  Nora replied 6 months ago.
Hi, She may be marked at the nape of her neck in the back on the bisque head or just under the wig of her hairline in the back. ~Nora
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What am I looking for? What marking? Name?
Expert:  Nora replied 6 months ago.
Hi, If the doll is marked, the name of the maker or just a country of origin will be impression stamped on the back of head on the neck or just under the wig. ~Nora
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Do you recognize anything about my doll? Are you a doll expert? I don't think I should pull,her wig up . its glued on and the bonnet is sewn on. Will that ruin her value?
Expert:  Nora replied 6 months ago.
Hello, Yes, I recognize the doll, in fact I have an antique postcard that shows a family posing with two similar dolls. Pulling up the wig just a little bit on the back may reveal the maker and will not de-value the doll - however if you are not comfortable doing that, then do not. A crack in the face, which you mentioned in the posting does de-value the doll significantly though. Yes, I am a doll expert. ~Nora
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you Nora. I will try and take a peek then. I love this doll so much. We had a matching boy, but he was stolen when we sold my grandmother's house. Thanks for your answers. Have a good night.
Expert:  Nora replied 6 months ago.
Hi, My pleasure to be of help. The doll dates to the 1920's and she is adorable. I will look for the postcard with the photo of 2 comparable dolls in it and send you the image when I can. ~Nora