Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017

I have a painting by Gary Pruner. Local artist in Sacramento. It

Customer Question

I have a painting by Gary Pruner. Local artist in Sacramento.
It is an oil painting 52" high and 42" wide.
Dog berries is the name.
I bought the painting directly from the artist 22 years ago.
I paid $8,000.
What is the value today? I am planning to sell it.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 6 months ago.
Hello, In order for me to properly assess what you have I will need to see images. If you had already attached images to your initial posting, they are not showing for me here on my end. Please send the photos at your convenience. There is not an extra charge to provide more pictures here. ~Nora
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Here is a picture of this painting.
Expert:  Nora replied 6 months ago.
Hi, Thank you for the images. Please allow me some time to look these over for you. ~Nora
Expert:  Nora replied 6 months ago.
Hi, Thank you for your patience. There has not yet been an exponential rise in the re-sale value of Gary Pruner paintings on the secondary market. This is not unusual for the vast majority of contemporary living artists. In general most art does not rise in value concurrently with the passage of time, nor does all art become 'more valuable' when the artist passes away. A primary gallery price for art is usually the highest price paid, and only in cases of blue chip investment artists do the works flip for higher. For this matter, you can ask whatever price you please on an item you own with the key factor being that of finding a buyer in your price range. You can certainly let it be known that you paid $8000, but this artist has not yet shown a substantial ROI. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance here. ~Nora
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for telling the obvious 'I can ask what I want'.
I wanted an opinion I can lean on.
Ask what you want and see if the
Buyer is out there or wait and sell after Gary is dead, if you are alife.
Expert:  Nora replied 6 months ago.
Hello, Value in art and objects is perceived and not concrete. It is also based on your clientele and salesmanship. You may want to contact the artist himself (he is on facebook) or one of his representing galleries to see if he or the gallery is willing to help with a buyer and price to preserve and justify his pricing structure. He's likely asking up to $20,000 a painting these days. However, his auction sales are coming in at less than $500, unfortunately. ~Nora