Judith-on-Antiques
Judith-on-Antiques, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  A noted expert, author, TV personality, appraiser and columnist. President, Association of Online Appraisers
57035021

I have a framed shadow box 3'x3' of a wreath made completely

Customer Question

I have a framed shadow box 3'x3' of a wreath made completely of barnyard feathers. It was given to my great grandfather in the late 1890s or early 1920s. Can send a picture if you would like. I am donating it to a local museum and need an estimate of value.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 10 months ago.
Hi, This is a great antique, 19th century, 1890's Victorian era feather wreath in what appears to be very fine condition. A few decades ago these sold for significantly higher. A fair and reasonable donation value for one of this size being 3' x 3', detail, and fine condition is $700. ~Nora
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I had this piece appraised in 2004 for $12,000. I need a new appraisal for donation purposes and feel you are way off. What it can be sold for in today's market and what its value is are two different things.
Expert:  Nora replied 10 months ago.
Hello, Certainly, I will open your question again to all the experts. If another wants to weigh in, they will respond to you here. There is not an additional charge for me to opt-out here. You do not need to re-list your question and this does not cost you extra. There is not a guarantee that you will receive a response. You can also contact the International Society of Appraisers and the Appraisal Association of America through their websites to find an appraiser in your area here are the links for you: http://www.isa-appraisers.org/find-an-appraiser http://www.appraisersassociation.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=Page.ViewPage&PageID=741 ~Nora
Expert:  Judith-on-Antiques replied 10 months ago.
Hello Karen,My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help.Can you tell me who appraised this wreath in 2004?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
***** ***** in Louisville Ky. was the appraiser.
Is this a formal written and certified appraisal? Was the figure he gave you the retail or fair market value?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Written and certified but I don't know if it was retail or fair market. Right now I am having trouble finding it as it was put with my parents things after their deaths. I am slowly going through them and hoping to come across it soon.
Here's the problem: I've been doing extensive research on this and there is no comparable item that comes even close to that amount of money. Recent sales have been running in the range of $800 tops. And I don't think they've ever been selling for anything like $12,000. If your appraisal is a formal certified one, it should include examples of wreaths like yours that sold in that price range. So far, I don't see any at all. If you are making a charitable donation of your wreath, the amount the IRS will allow as a deduction is the fair market value. If the wreath has a retail value of $12,000, the fair market (private sale or auction) value would be $3,600. But, I honestly feel that figure is way, way off. Assuming the current retail (replacement or insurance) value of the wreath is $800, which, based on current sales of comparable items is what it is, the current fair market value is approximately $320. Is it possible the previous appraiser actually valued it at $1,200? That would make the fair market value $480.One other thing though: It's value is definitely what it can be sold for in today's market. That's the definition of appraised value.I am so sorry I couldn't give you better news, but it's my job to research the market and then report the results back to you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you, Karen.If you have any further questions or problems concerning this answer, please let me know.If you would like to work with me on further questions you might have, it would be a pleasure to work with you again. All you have to do is put my name (Judith) at the beginning of your question.I need your positive rating! Could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer, at no extra cost to you. We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do.Thank you so much!
Hi Karen,I am just checking in to see if you have any additional questions about this item. I need your positive rating! Could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer, at no extra cost to you.