rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I have an 1854 American Dollar . Does it have a value please

Customer Question

I have an 1854 American Dollar . Does it have a value please . The condition is quite nice . Thanks , Chris Smih
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 8 months ago.
Hello,My name isCustomerand I would love to help.The next step would be for me to see pictures of both sides so that I can get visual clues of the value.Use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures one at a time and I will be able to complete my answer, thank you!
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Attached is a photo, let me know if this works
I got the back of the coin, yes. Let me know what that mint mark is at the very bottom of the coin. Also add one of the front.
The small letter under the wreath should be a D or an S for Denver or San Francisco mint. There is a big difference in price between the two, so I really need to know that letter.Do also send a picture of the front.
I will give you the value of both possibilities and you can determine which you have.This is an 1854 Liberty Head $1 gold coin. These were made from 1849-1854. It weighs 1.672 grams and is composed of 90% gold and 10%copper. This is a Type1, meaning the Liberty Head is on the obverse and the open wreath is on the reverse with mint mark below the wreath. The 1854S (San Francisco mint) coin has a mintage of 14,632 coins in that year and has a current value of $550 us dollars/ $729AUD.The 1854D (Denver mint) had a lower mintage of 2,935 coins that year and has a current value of $2450 us dollars/$3248AUD.It is important for you to click the stars after you have read this answer.
Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance?Please let me know.