Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017

I have bedroom furniture that was my Grandmother's (1905-1965)

Customer Question

I have bedroom furniture that was my Grandmother's (1905-1965) or older. I am told it is made of American Chestnut. There is a double bed, 3-mirror vanity, vanity chair, rocking chair (armless), and a 3-drawer bureau. It was painted cream colored when I got it as a youth, and it was repainted at that time. Only the vanity chair has been stripped. There are also caned inserts in the headboard and on the 2 chairs.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 6 months ago.
Hello, In order for me to properly assess what you have I will need to see images. If you had already attached images to your initial posting, they are not showing for me here on my end. Please send the photos at your convenience. There is not an extra charge to provide more pictures here. ~Nora
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have some pictures, but they are not very good. I can take more pictures tomorrow, if these are not good enough.
Expert:  Nora replied 6 months ago.
Hi, Thank you for the images. Please allow me some time to look these over for you. ~Nora
Expert:  Nora replied 6 months ago.
Hi, Thank you for your patience. This was likely veneered and not solid wood. The set dates to the early 20th century. On today's market, the white painted surface is now popular. I suggest selling each individually at $200 for each the bed, vanity and dresser and $25 - $45 for each chair. ~Nora
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I think that you may be correct about it being veneered, but how can I tell? There is no veneer breakage, but it has also not been heavily used. When I search for someone to sell the pieces, should I look for a particular type of dealer? I also have a few other furniture pieces.
Expert:  Nora replied 6 months ago.
Hi, In general these furniture pieces in this style were almost always veneered, it was common practice at that time and for this furniture. You can try to look at the edge corners of drawers to see if you can spot it, in addition the use of the paint helps to keep the veneer from cracking. I suggest listing these on Craigslist or going through a local consignment shop in your area. I do no suggest selling direct to a dealer as they will offer 10% - 30% of the lowest perceived sale value. I will be happy to help with more items, however I only assess one item or matched set per question here. ~Nora
Expert:  Nora replied 6 months ago.
Hello, Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance? Please let me know. Sincerely, Nora