Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.

Good afternoon. I'm writing because I need appraisals on my

Customer Question

Good afternoon. I'm writing because I need appraisals on my wide variety of late 1800's to early 1900's dishes. Can you help me?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 6 months ago.
Hi! My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your china.Can you pick out a particular piece, or a particular china service that you would like me to appraise and we'll start from there.All I need are photos of the pattern, and a photo of the bottom of one of the plates showing the mark and a list of exactly what the service consists of including serving dishes.It sounds like your best option for selling is through your local antique auction house. If you let me know your zip, I'll see what options there are near you for doing that.Many thanks,Robert PS. Once you have the photos in your computer (if you are using a smart phone camera, just email them to yourself) it's then a simple matter to attach them. Just click on the paperclip icon, located above the text box where you are typing to me. If there's no paperclip, click on the "Add files" tab.If you get stuck go here for help.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My zip code is 81504
Thanks for the excellent photos I can see exactly what you have here.This is a Japanese sushi or snack server and individual dishes (sometimes also referred to as a "celery dish set") made in the late 1920s or early 1930s by Noritake China at their Chikaramachi branch, in operation from 1928-1946 under this name and logo.This was the Jazz Age when these cheerfully painted scenic and lusterware patterns became immensely popular and they were also competitively priced too, being sold at the same value, or even slightly less, than domestic US production which had only printed designs and no hand-painting.The pattern is known variously as Noritake's "Red Roof" pattern or the "Sunset Pattern" and does have a steady, if limited, following of collectors, however there is still quite a bit of it on the secondary market (auctions and on line sales) so prices are not all that great.If you were to sell at auction or on line (eBay or Etsy, for instance, where I think you will get a slightly better price than at auction) this set sells in the range of $20 - $40.As far as selling is concerned your closest best option is in Denver and the following three auction houses come recommended:(1) Bruhns Auction Gallery50 West Arizona StreetDenver, CO 80223 Priddy's Auction Galleries, Inc5411 Leetsdale DriveDenver, CO 80246 Colorado Auction House12460 E Pacific Circle#AAurora, CO 80014 The only factor to take into consideration is an auction house's not inconsiderable seller's commission of roughly 20% - 25% -a sliding scale depending on the hammer price; each auction house has its own rate and scale.As I say, you may get a little more selling on, or, but there is packing and shipping in such a way as to ensure safe arrival which is not for the faint hearted, though it can be done if a few simple rules of basic engineering are followed. Double boxing is one of them and is essential.Selling to a local antique dealer is also a route worth considering. They usually agree to pay the low end of the auction estimates if they're interested. I would contact your nearest antiques mall and ask them who the local antique china seller/dealer is. They will know. This is the person to talk to, explain you are going to sell it at auction and offer them first refusal. This is probably the best way to go, because it requires little travel and no shipping worries.I do hope this helps!Best wishes,Robert.