rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.

I have a service with serving dishes - red rose pattern

Customer Question

I have a service for 12 with serving dishes - red rose pattern stamped "Westville Japan".
This was my mother's and I believe she bought in Canada in the 1950's.
Replacements Inc. has the pattern (and many others that look practically the same but with different stamps/trademarks) but they have expressed no interest in it. Some similar completer pieces are offered on ebay, but not with this trademark.
I would be very pleased to offer it for sale, but have no idea what to ask for it or where to attempt to offer it.
Ina -- ***@******.***
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 6 months ago.
Hello,My name isCustomerand I would love to help. There was only one picture that came with your original inquiry.The next step would be for me to see pictures of mark on the bottom so that I can get visual clues of the date and value.Use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures one at a time and I will be able to complete my answer, thank you!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The backside picture
Thank you, ***** ***** will work on your answer now and get back to you in a bit.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks! Ina
The reason that you have seen similar with different backstamps is that porcelain was imported from Japan and the different importers added the backstamp of the importer and not the maker. The porcelain maker in Japan is not exactly known, but this is the importer name of Westville of Nova Scotia, Canada. They imported china from Japan in the later 1950's. To note, any porcelain made from 1945-52 in Japan was legally required to be marked MADE IN OCCUPIED JAPAN, so this is why your set would have been made after 1952. The set is a Rose/Moss Rose pattern with gold trim, a popular style into the early 70's.Your service for 12 plus serving pieces has a current value of $300 to $400 for the whole set. The market for formal dinner ware is soft currently as few people are sitting down to dinner and the mid-century modern style is the decorating trend. The best thing to do is to contact your local auction house and consign to them or sell the set yourself by joining your local Facebook yard sale page. Ebay and Etsy are the obvious selling venues, but the shipping and fees could be a bit too tedious and costly for this set.It is important for you to click the stars after you have read this answer.
Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance?Please let me know.If you'd like to have me assess anything else, start a new question and put 'forCustomeramp;#39; so that you could get me again.Please click the stars to accept my answer for this question.