Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry

I have a vintage music box. It is a Reuge, made in Italy, sold

Customer Question

I have a vintage music box. It is a Reuge, made in Italy, sold by Splendid NY, and it says on the back Gipsy Baron Waltz, Le Baron Tzigane, Swiss movement. On the front it says Grand Succes La Tzigane Opera Camique en Trois Actes. I cannot find a replica of this anywhere online. Are you familiar with this and what is it worth?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rusufdavi replied 6 months ago.
HelloThank you for making your question to JustAnswer. My name is*****'m an Antiques Expert and I will try to help you with your particular inquiry. Please, don't hesitate to contact me any time or to make follow up questions if needed. Could you provide a picture of the music box? Thanks
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I will have my husband do that when he gets up - I don't know how to, lol. I will then send it to you.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The inside of the box is made of what looks like felt - as if you would also be able to use it as a jewelry box. The facing looks to be in excellent shape - actually the whole thing does - no scratches or wear. I inherited it from my mother and I have no idea where she got it. She is deceased. The wind up music works perfectly too. I am perplexed as to why I cannot find this one anywhere as this seems to be a very famous music box maker still in existence. I will get that picture to you as soon as I can. Were you able to find any information on it? I am very curious to say the least or maybe a ballpark figure based on it being in excellent shape, even without seeing the picture. Gosh, I am seeming so pushy, lol. I am just anxious and excited to see what it is worth. I will get that picture to you as soon as I can - probably in a few hours. I am so glad I found your site!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Here are two pics - one of the front and one with the box open.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
In my research I did find that the theme on the box is a French play, starring a former opera singer turned actor, Jean-Vital Jammes. I found the play referred to on the box. Here is the quote about it from the source I found:"In the mid-1870s, vocal problems attributed to laryngitis caused him to retire from the Opéra-Comique.[11] He was appointed Professor of Lyric Declamation (Opera) at the Paris Conservatory on 1 February 1874, but on 23 December 1876 he was abruptly dismissed from his post without explanation. Ismaël repeatedly, but unsuccessfully, asked for a public investigation into the affair.[12][13] Following his dismissal from the conservatory and the subsequent loss of his salary there, he returned to the stage appearing in comic operas and operettas at the Théâtre du Casino in Monte Carlo and the Théâtre de la Renaissance in Paris until 1880. In 1877, the year in which Ismaël appeared in the premiere of the Strauss operetta La tzigane at the Théâtre de la Renaissance,[14] the satirical revue Le Trombinoscope devoted an entire issue to him with a biography by "Touchatout" (Léon-Charles Bienvenu). He went on to appear in two more world premieres at the Théâtre de la Renaissance—Lecocq's La jolie persane in 1879 (as Nadir) and Planquette's Les voltigeurs de la 32ème in 1880 (as Richard). Amongst his performances at the Théâtre du Casino in Monte Carlo was the title role in Planquette's Le chevalier Gaston for its world premiere in 1879.[10]"I searched the Splendid Music Box Company in New York's pictures and found nothing like the box I have. But it was made in Italy and sold by them according to the stickers on the bottom of the box. I hope this additional information helps with your search and appraisal. Thank you again!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I found this on Google Images - which is the exact picture on my box. Link copied:
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Have you found anything?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
If I don't receive an acnowledgement of my trying to reach you, I am going to give you a negative rating and ask for my money back. I sent you a picture as you requested and I have heard nothing from you. If you can't find anything at least have the courtesy of telling me.