Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

Oval shape jewelry box 5" long silver with winged cherub figurine

Customer Question

Oval shape jewelry box 5" long silver with winged cherub figurine on the top with a ball and chain attached to his hand. End hinged and has padded silk lining. Intricate engraved designs on top half include flowers. Had attached bottom ornate flower design stand (only have pieces now) Hallmark worn off, but LOOKs like Meriden at bottom of circle with UPLEA(?) on top of circle. Stamped with L 938. Belonged to Grandmother or Great-grandmother, 1800s? ANY info appreciated. Thanks!
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hallmark is round with what appears to be crossed oars? in middle
Expert:  Judith-on-Antiques replied 8 months ago.
Hi Lauren,My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help. I'll need you to upload clear pictures of the box taken from all angles, with a clear close-up image of the hallmarks. Please see our help page for help uploading images.http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expertOr:Go to http://www.imgur.com.1. Click "Computer".2. Double click the image you want to upload.3. Click "Start Upload".4. When the image appears on your screen, just copy the link from that page and paste it on this page.If that doesn't work for you:You can email the pictures to***@******.***, and ask them to forward the pictures to me. You must tell them the pictures are for the Antiques category, and give them your user name and mine, which is Judith-on-Antiques. It is important for you to send the email from the address with which you registered at Just Answer. If you are sending them from a phone, you must put the original email address in the text.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Dear Judith, thanks so much for your reply. Unfortunately the hallmark is pretty much obliterated by wear. The only thing I can discern after much studying is that it is a double circle with crossed oars or axes or? in the middle. On the top of the circle is (I think) the letters UPLEA and at the bottom MERIDEN. I believe the stamp is L 938 Or possibly I 938. Any hope? I don't think a photograph will be any clearer but maybe can give it a try later. I haven't been able to find anything remotely close after looking at Meriden silverplate pics and not sure it IS plated. My family were pioneers and ran a hotel and stagecoach line from Laird's Landing in the 1800's so no clue where this originated either. Although I believe it is from the original hotel. Best I can do. Sorry! The cupid and the ball and chain make us think wedding gift. Would appreciate ANY info. Thanks again Lauren Laird
Hi Lauren,It is not possible to value something I can't see, especially a rarer item. I'm wiling to wait for the photos. You are welcome to take all the time you need.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks Judith, will take the photos as soon as possible! I totally understand that you need to see my item, it would be like working blind. Guess I was just hoping? Many thanks, Lauren
No problem, Lauren! Please take all the time you need.