Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have two chromolithahraphs dated 1866 by Arthur Ashpitel,

Customer Question

I have two chromolithahraphs dated 1866 by Arthur Ashpitel, Rome as it was and Rome as it is today. They are in good shape and framed Uv and acid free. Just curious on an approximate value range
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 10 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.I will be pleased to help you.Please know that I cannot accept any requests for "live conversations" such as phone calls.I give my best answers in writing when I have time to think about them.Sometimes a "Chat box" will pop-up asking if you would like a live conversation. Please know it is not from me.I need a little more information.Please tell me the size of the pieces, not including the frame. Do not remove from frame. Is the signature original? Are the pieces numbered? I look forward to your replies. Kind regards,Doris
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The size is 12 3/8" X 31 1/2" There is a signature on one. I don't know if it's original. It's, A Ashpitel FSA. I do not see any numbering. The frames are old but unsure how old. I brought them and an artist edit of Yosemite by ***** ***** for 900
Thank you for the information.Please allow me time to research the data required by your question, calculate current values and write my answer.I should be back within 40 minutes.I thank you in advance for your patience.Kind regards,Doris
Arthur Ashpitel (1807–1869) was a British architect. The FSA after his name most probably stands for Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries.In 1864 he built schools accommodating seven hundred children for the district of Holy Trinity at Hoxton, at a cost of about £3000. In 1865 he rebuilt the tower and spire of Great Ilford Church and two years later elaborated and enlarged the plain brick church (erected in about 1825), inserting new windows and creating a polygonal chancel and adding a parsonage, all his works there being in a Venetian Gothic style. His last work was a design for twelve almshouses at Clewer, near Windsor, built at the cost of one of his sisters; they were constructed after his death under the supervision of John Whichcord. He also designed the ornament cast on the Westminster Bell, known as " Big Ben" and assisted E. M. Barry in researching his design for the new Charing Cross.Following his Roman studies he exhibited two drawings at the Royal Academy, a Restoration of Ancient Rome, and Rome As It Is. They were exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1858 and 1859 respectively, and were reproduced as chromolithographs, with an explanatory pamphlet.WritingsAshpitel died on 18 January 1869, having left a valuable collection of vases and books to the Society of Antiquaries of London, and his two drawings of Rome to the nation;they are now in the collection of the Victoria and Albert Museum."Source: Wikipedia If your 1866 chromolithographs are part of the original group, they would have a retail value of $1400-1700.Only an experienced art expert that views your chromolithographs in person can begin to verify they are original to 1866. What is the closest large city near you? Perhaps, I can recommend someone near you. Kind regards,Doris