rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I have a tapestry woven in 1908 of Sir Edwin Landseer's painting

Customer Question

I have a tapestry woven in 1908 of Sir Edwin Landseer's painting done in 1834.
it is good condition, and says - woven on a "hattersley " loom at the Franco- British exhibition 1908
how much is it worth?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 8 months ago.
Hello,My name isCustomerand I would love to help.The next step would be for me to see pictures of the tapestry and marks so that I can get visual clues of the date and value.Use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures one at a time and I will be able to complete my answer, thank you!
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I hope you are able to tell me soon this is exciting!
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I hope u got the pictures I just sent
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I now see that you have got the pictures I sent
I apologize for the delay. I had to leave the office and just now got back.This is a tapestry titled "Bolton Abbey in the Olden Time" woven on Hattersley Jacquard loom. The original painting, "Bolton Abbey in the Olden Time" was done by Sir Edwin Landseer in 1834; the original painting was reproduced in tapestry on a Hattersley loom which was in operation at the Franco-British Exposition (London) in 1908.This piece has a value of $600 to $700.00.It is important for you to click the stars after you have read this answer.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Don't think the valuation is correct, the painting was of real people and about 7 years ago I had a valuation of it for $4000 minimum??
This is the value of this tapestry. One similar in London sold for 350GBP, which is close to thus valuation. I can't justify the $4000, unless it was a value for insurance/replacement and the appraiser was padding the price for you.I am sorry that it was not what you expected. I am pledged to be honest and sometimes that causes disappointment.Do click the stars to accept my answer.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Actually no it was not at all for any insurance purposes, well thank you
You are welcome. Please do click the stars for me, thank you.