Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs.Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
53729464

I would like to get 2 pieces appraised.1. Sketch of a port on a mou

Customer Question

I would like to get 2 pieces appraised.
1. Sketch of a port on a mountain; ink on paper (in the back there is a date 1789)
2. ***** ***** portrait: ink on paper with a signature dated 1835
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 8 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** very important to be able to see what the customer has in order to give a correct informed value! .Here are instructions for sending images several ways, you can choose which one best fits you , be sure it is uploaded to your computer,.If you do not see the blue button that states attach file at the bottom of your page here are instructions to upload images !.Click the link: for instructions on uploading images .http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert . Or you may use this method:.Go to www.imgur.com.click on Computer.Select the picture file from the box that pops up..Hit open..Click on Start Upload.And then copy the link they give you (it will look similar to this http://www.imgur.com/xxxx) and paste it here.. Glenda
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have placed 3 pictures of 2 items that I would like to have appraised. Below. I look forward to your response.
Anky
HelloWhat size are these? Is the Washington print original or a printed copy?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
As far as I know it is original the ink area is 19.5cm high x 14cm wide.
HelloCan you read the signature on the Washington Piece?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'm not good at reading that old cursive. I'm sending you a close picture
HelloThe Picture of Washington is what is called a Mezzotint, ( etching ). I am going to see if I can figure out who the artist is. I know this can be valued, there are many etchings of Washington on the Art Market. I would like to see if I can find who did this one, if I can. I will let you know as soon as I do. Glenda
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I would like to know the value of the Mezzotint, ( etching ).
Thank you ,
Anky ******
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 7 months ago.
HelloI am sorry I did not see this earlier, I was not notified you responded to me..I did not find who the artist is but, I did find where these have sold by this artist, if you would like the current market value I can do that.?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
HI,
I would like to know the current market value. It would be great if I could find out the artist but if not any information would be great.
HelloThank you, ***** ***** a Art Professor look at this also and he cannot discern the signature..This is your answer, please rate this after reading the answer. You do so clicking one of the top stars or smiley faces ( on phones possibly )!.The Washington Print, has an estimated value on the current market for an average of $225.00-300.00, the other print-$175.00-200.00, depending on the condition and where it is for sale at. .Keep in mind that not all estimated values are obtained, your geographic area plays a big role in what prices can be obtained. If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from. .You can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online. There is also Rubylane, which is a more upscale site where people sell more expensive items. There is also Tias and GoAntiques, which is on the same scale of Rubylane. There is Amazon Market Place, ArtFire and of course Ebay. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great! If you sell to a dealer, antique shop or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item..If you have more items you would like to ask me about, just start a new question addressed to "Glenda" it would be my pleasure to help you..Rating of the answer is for my professionalism in my communications with you.. It is not based on the value of an item, which appraisers have no control over, or any site issues ( technical or otherwise) that may occur while using the site. .Appraisers are independent of the Just Answer site, we do not work for the site. . The only way we are compensated for our time, is by the rating you give me by clicking on one of the stars or smiley faces you see..Please take the time to rate me,Thank youGlenda
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is this based on the assumption that it is an original from 1835 or just a print?
HelloThis is based on that it is a print, it is a Mezzotint, ( etching ) Here is what it is: Mezzotint is a printmaking process of the intaglio family, technically a dry point method. It was the first tonal method to be used, enabling half-tones to be produced without using line or dot based techniques like hatching, cross-hatching or stipple. Mezzotint achieves tonality by roughening the plate with thousands of little dots made by a metal tool with small teeth, called a "rocker." In printing, the tiny pits in the plate hold the ink when the face of the plate is wiped clean. A high level of quality and richness in the print can be achieved..If you have more items you would like to ask me about, just start a new question addressed to "Glenda" it would be my pleasure to help you..Rating of the answer is for my professionalism in my communications with you..It is not based on the value of an item, which appraisers have no control over, or any site issues ( technical or otherwise) that may occur while using the site. .Appraisers are independent of the Just Answer site, we do not work for the site. .The only way we are compensated for our time, is by the rating you give me by clicking on one of the stars or smiley faces you see..Please take the time to rate me,Thank youGlenda