Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
63759197

Looking to find information on a set of cobalt blue carnival

Customer Question

looking to find information on a set of cobalt blue carnival glass elephants. more so, time frame and possible value. where would i look for that info?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 9 months ago.
Hi! My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your elephants.Could you very kindly add a photo of the bottoms.Also, how tall are they?Many thanks,Robert
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
there is a photo attached
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
they are 3.75 inches tall
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
photo added again
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
there are no markings on the bottoms but will take one and send momentarily
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
bottoms
Okay, thanks for those, that's really helpful.A number of glass makers produced these iridescent elephant-form paperweights, the most well known being Fenton, but seeing the bottoms, and other features, I can tell you these were made by Philip Tigner of Pele's Glass Creations, Pahoa on the Big Island of Hawaii. Named for Pele the Hawaiian goddess of volcanoes.They are not that old, made in the last 15 or 20 years or so and I believe he is still making art glass, but not this particular type.As for value, his creations have not been around for long enough to have accumulated much collector premium so prices are not that great. This example, for instance, very similar to yours, sold on line for $10 which is probably about right for the secondary market.I would give yours an auction or on line value in the range of $10 - $15 each, so $20 - $30 for both, and they would therefore have a full retail value (if you saw them for sale in a vintage store) of $60 for the pair. This is also the replacement value for insurance purposes.I do hope this helps!Best wishes,Robert
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Philip Tigner creates fused stained glass lava explosions. how does the elephants i have relate to him, exactly?
Philip Tigner trades under the name Pele's Glass Creations.This is part of a label that is usually stuck to the base of the iridescent pieces. This particular one was on a whale paperweight in the same style as your elephants.Hope this helps!Robert
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
from a glance at the internet Philip Tigner does not even deal with glass in this way and has only been doing it for only a few years. so how can you say that the elephants are 15 to 20 years old?
Here's a better example of the label. The only connection I have between Philip Tigner and the paperweights is that they both use the name Pele's Glass and operate in Hawaii. There's almost no information on Pele's Glass in the references as is often the case with individual, off-the-grid studio glass operations.My best guess is that these iridescent paperweights are last quarter 20th century at the oldest, but that's all the information I have but what we know for sure is the values for them on the secondary market are as I've given you.Best wishes,Robert
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
your information does not follow the information told to me when they were given to me.
what was told to me from my aunt was that they were given to her by her mother, my grandmother. that my grandmother had gotten them when she was younger. my grandmother is from Scotland and came to America in 1909 where she live for her entire life in the New England states. i an not understanding how your info links with this information
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
oh. oops 1929, march of 1929 she came to America.
Okay, I've been doing a little more digging into the literature, because you are right, your elephants do seem older, and I am sure your grandmother's story must be true.There is very little in the references but Pele's Glass is listed in the Museum of American Glass in West Virginia, here's a link to what they've posted on line, but it does not give any details on dates of operation.http://magwv.pastperfectonline.com/bycreator?keyword=Pele%27s+GlassThe link to Philip Tigner could be coincidental, or he bought the rights to the name, but I was wrong to assume he, personally, was the maker, although it could be a family business.The © copyright symbol that you see on the label only came into general use from the 1950s onwards so it's unlikely they are any older than that.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
those labels are pele's Glass Hawaii.
David Karl took Philip Tigner as an apprentice a few years before he passed away from cancer in 2014.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
so my question now is. who is the artist/creator of Pele's Glass - Hawaii?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
also, the early 19th century carnival glass was being made by everyone, figuratively speaking, where no piece was marked but stickers were applied. not until later, i believe near the great depression were they being marked. soooo, it is very difficult to figure who made what, when
You are right, it's so hard to be sure with unmarked items, but these iridescent figural paperweights with the distinctive pulled white inclusions are probably 1980s.Pele's Glass gets even more complicated because it could be these were imported into Hawaii and actually made in Taiwan. I pulled up this listing for one of your elephants complete with the original box and in the listing description it says:"Pele's Glass.....The Hawaiian Collection Taiwan" whether that's text from the box or not, I don't know because the photos are too blurry to read. See what you make of it:http://ctonlineauctions.com/detail.asp?id=224785&pic=7#img
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
pictures are far to blurry to be creditable for anything
Yes, the photos are atrocious, I agree. But at least you can make out the unmistakable gold Pele's Glass sticker on the base of the elephant.