Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry

What may be the approximate

Customer Question

What may be the approximate value of an antique clock which is though to have been purchased around the London area/England, circa 1850-1860. The clock is a domed-mental clock, measuring approximately 7 - 8" square, Roman Numerals, beveled-glass, features brass scrolling above and across the top of the face, and on either side below the face. There is a manual F/S dial centered above the face. There are also carved column on either side of the clock, along with brass 'feet'. The coil for the chime can be moved forward or backward to silence or have it strike. Features two key holes - one positioned at 4:30 and the other at 7:30 (both on the edge of the face where the numerals are placed). The clock weighs approximately 15# ***** solid wood with a fine grain, ***** ***** in color I'd attach a photo, but I don't see where that is an option.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  AppraiserJM replied 6 months ago.
Hi, my name is*****’m a certified appraiser, and I’d be happy to help.In order to appraise your item, I’ll need clear, well-lit photos, both overall and any distinguishing marks, labels, stamps, signatures, or details.Photo upload instructions can be found on this page: that doesn’t work for you, please contact Customer Support for help. You can find their contacts in the box on the upper right on this page:,Jennifer
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I attached a photo already. There were no markings on/within the clock and as the clock in in shop for the next month, I'm unable to provide more detail until then. Please refund my $30. And when I get the clock back, perhaps then I'll revisit with you. Please advise.
I think perhaps you attached the wrong photo? It's not of the clock, it's a screen shot of a text.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Originally, I attached two photos, but apparently only the first one got sent. Attached is a photo (the only photo) I have of the clock. As concerns providing additional information, i.e., markings, an internal view, etc., the clock is in the repair shop for the next four weeks or so, and therefore am unable to provide additional information other than what I originally submitted. Thank You. If you are still unable to provide an estimated appraisal of the clock based on the information/photo provided, I trust a full refund to my account will be forthcoming. GR Lavoie
I'm not personally comfortable appraising it without knowing for sure if there is a maker's mark.We have two options:1. I can request a refund2. I can open this to all other appraisers. It's very possible someone else may be able to help you with what you've provided. There is no extra charge for this, and if it still doesn't work out, you can still request a refund later.Just let me know.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
JM,At this time (since the clock in in the shop and I'm hoping they can get it to run), please request a refund of the $30 for the appraisal. Once I get the clock back, I may have the opportunity to look inside for any markings from the manufacturer, etc. and at that time I may then see if an appraisal can be made based on the additional information. The clock should be in shop approximately 3-4 weeks, and if they can't get the parts and it won't run, there would be no need for an appraisal. Thank you for your time and troubles and looking forward to contacting JustAnswer again in the future. GR Lavoie