rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I have a Chinese piece of art that is painted on silk. I think

Customer Question

I have a Chinese piece of art that is painted on silk. I think it is representative of a Buddist circle of some sort,but I don't know. I got it from my Uncle who first got it in the 1950's. I don't know how to get it appraised, but would mostly like to learn about its origin.
Thanks
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 10 months ago.
Hello,This is an antique Buddhist Tibetan Thangka (scroll painting) Mandala on silk with buddhas and bodhisatvas around the central mandala form that represents the wheel of life. These date back really far, but since you said that your uncle bought it in the 50's, that also makes sense because these were being made new then and sold to the tourist trade. It would have been made in Tibet/Nepal area, but these are also made in India and other Buddhist countries. This piece has a current value of $200 to $350.00, possibly more. You can read more about the mandala and the symbols by browsing on this website. http://www.exoticindiaart.com/article/mandala/If you ever have other items that you wonder about, you can start a new question and put 'forCustomeramp;#39; so that it will be saved for me. I do glass, china, porcelain, jewelry, silver, clocks, pocket watches, musical instruments, coins and signed art. You never know what else you might have!It is important for you to click the stars after you have read this answer.