rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.

I have about 10 place settings and a LOT of extra pieces (cream

Customer Question

I have about 10 place settings and a LOT of extra pieces (cream soup, covered veg dish, coffee pot, serving platters, cream & sugar, and probably more). Most of the dishes have never been used. Some have been used less than a dozen times. I am the only owner and I have had all of these dishes since 1982. They were all bought at Harrod's in London during the period 1982-1984, except some pieces that were purchased by me in Bermuda in 1987. I am looking to sell a lot of the pieces. Any suggestions as to who I would contact and where to have items valued? Thanks.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 6 months ago.
Hello,My name isCustomerand I would love to help.The next step would be for me to see pictures of the pattern and the mark on the bootm so that I can get visual clues of the maker, date, style and value.Use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures (one at a time is best) and I will be able to complete my answer, thank you!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I will add pictures but I neglected to mention that they are all Royal Doulton Floradora Gold. I don't need assistance identifying them. I personally purchased most everything at Harrods and a few pieces at an authorized store in Bermuda. I just want help figuring out (1) value, and (2) where I might sell the set. I might want to keep some but is it better to try and sell it all together or piecemeal? Thanks.
Thank you, ***** ***** not have to add pictures. Most people do not know what they and have and need help there as well.Currently, one place setting is $60.00 on the secondary market (Ebay, Etsy, etc.), so the service for 10 would be valued at $600.The serving pieces are valued at$20 each cream soup/saucer,$150-180 covered veg dish,$75 coffee pot,$70 to $90 each serving platters,$65 cream & sugar$15 gravy boatI realize this is nowhere near what you paid at Harrod's, but porcelain has had a very soft market in the past five years. Partly because people do not eat formal dinners anymore and also because the mid-century modern style of decorating has lent itself to less fancy china trends.It is suggested to sell it by the shape, meaning the set of cream soup as one lot, the dinner plates as one lot of 10, etc.People that already have this pattern would be looking to replace a piece or two that they don't have, but don't want a whole set to accomplish this.This china does well on Ebay, Etsy, or You can also contact your local auction house (they would sell as one lot) or join your local Facebook yard sale page or antiques page and list the set there where you would have a local, more targeted buyer.It is important for you to click the stars after you have read this answer.