rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.

Bought a cameo about 50 yrs ago. It shows a young woman in

Customer Question

Bought a cameo about 50 yrs ago. It shows a young woman in profile, white on dark slate blue, signed A Wild on front with #101 carved into back. It is in its own box lined with cream colored velvet. Outside box covered in thin, dark blue leather. Gerhard Schmidt, in Germany, is very interested but I do not know its value.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 6 months ago.
Hello,My name isCustomerand I would love to help.The next step would be for me to see pictures of the cameo and marks so that I can get visual clues of the value.Use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures one at a time and I will be able to complete my answer, thank you!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We are all packed up and waiting for escrow to close 4/18. Please send me your email address so I can send you photos. I have pix on my email but if I can not send them that way will have to wait until I can take pix and send them via your Add Files feature.
You can send photos to***@******.*** and put 'forCustomeramp;#39; in the subject line so that they will forward to me.
This is a carved cameo without frame by Augustus Rudolph Wild, circa 1930, with a value of $1500.00 to $1600.00. Wild carved for Gerhard Schmidt during his career and briefly for Cartier in the 1920's. The image is similar to Fruhling, but without the bird on her shoulder. He did make a mold where she was just looking at a rose on her shoulder as well.There would be no way for me to know how it ended up in California. It never made it into a piece of jewelry, so someone may have bought it in Germany and brought it here intending to have it set but never did.It is important for you to click the stars after you have read this answer.