Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have 15 pieces of fine crystal stemware consisting of 8

Customer Question

I have 15 pieces of fine crystal stemware consisting of 8 wines and 7 waters (I recently broke one of the waters). I bought these over the Internet from a seller in Uruguay, with no hallmarks, etched or paper, though the seller represented it as antique Baccarat, predating 1931. I can find no pattern that matches this, though the bowls are shaped identical to the Chambolle bowls, but with a gold Greek key gilding around them. However, the stems are faceted. I have photos of them, and have registered them through Replacements.com as Unk 11970. I would like to have an expert look at them, or a sample of them (I saved the bowl and partial stem of the one I broke, and am thinking of sending it for inspection). I know a little bit about depression era crystal , and have owned fine examples of fossoria, Seneca, Duncan Miller and Tiffin stemware. However, these stems are the finest crystal I have come across, which leads me to think the seller was telling the truth, or that she was selling me another brand of equal quality. Can you tell me the best way to go about determining their brand, vintage, and value? I have done extensive research with what few resources I have (mostly internet searches), with no luck.
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Here is another photo my son took for a photo class project
Expert:  Nora replied 8 months ago.

Are the undersides of the stemware glasses polished as well?

~Nora

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
If you mean polished versus rough, yes. I have attached a pic of one of the wines turned upside down. The base bottom does appear to have a circular swirl in the glass, though it is not detectable to the touch. Release excuse any dust.
Expert:  Nora replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for the image. I will let you know if I can make a match to this pattern for you.

~Nora

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks, Nora. I had an opportunity to buy a matching decanter and cordials when I purchased these, and passed them up. The decanter shape, as I recall, was very similar to the Chambolle decanter--but again, the stems on glasses are five facets, not smooth like Chambolle.
Expert:  Nora replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for the additional information.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Also, several years ago, I found a stemware pattern on Replacements that had identical Greek key pattern with fleur de lid accents as mine, but etched instead of gold. It is also an unknown pattern. I tried to see if they would contact the owner to see if we could communicate directly, but company was uncooperative. Here is pic of that pattern. I'm almost certain mine and this are from same manufacturer.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Here is better pic of the etching
Expert:  Nora replied 8 months ago.

That is definitely the same pattern/maker, just that yours is gold encrusted.

Expert:  Nora replied 8 months ago.

Hi There,

I have not found a maker match to these for you.

I will opt-out and your question will open again to all the experts. If someone knows the answer they will post a response to you here. You do not need to re-list your question and this does not cost you extra. There is not a guarantee that you will receive a response.

I will not be able to respond back after opting-out

I do hope you find the information that you seek.

~Nora

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks, Nora. I appreciate your efforts, even if they didn't yield the info I am wanting. I will keep a lookout for input from other experts on this site.