Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017

I have a letter from Abraham Lincoln that has been in my

Customer Question

Good afternoon,
I have a letter from Abraham Lincoln that has been in my husbands family for several decades, I believe it was to an Aunt from when she was young. How do we tell if it is real. I have matched some letters from other writings, how do I tell if it is real? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You,
Sherry Shaw
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please know that I cannot accept any requests for "live conversations" such as phone calls.
I give my best answers in writing when I have time to think about them.
Sometimes a "Chat box" will pop-up asking if you would like a live conversation. Please know it is not from me.

Signature Authentication:

It looks to be real but authentication must be done in person; ie, with signature in hand.

It is impossible to authenticate from a photo.

This business will authenticate signatures for a fee.

If someone says they authenticate a letter or signature from a photo, they are misleading you.

It just cannot be done without having an expert examine it carefully in person.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put my name (Doris) at the first of the question, that will make sure it gets to me.

Thank you.

Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?

Let me know,
Kind regards,

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Doris never saw anything so how can she it looks to be real . I don't think telling me that she can't do the phone is not worth 38.00 dollars

That phrase was a typo. You thought the writing looked like Lincoln's. That is what I was going on.

The fact that the writing can only be certified by an expert viewing in person remains the same.

I will release your question so that perhaps another pro may have an answer that works for you. This is called "opting out." I will not be able to responds to your comments once I opt out.

I hope your writings can be certified as Lincoln's.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don't mean to be a bother but the info you gave me is common sense,not worth 38.00 dollars I need to have my name taken off and the amount returned to my credit card. Thank you
Expert:  Nora replied 6 months ago.

If you would like to send photos or scans, I will be happy to look over your letter for you and help with an estimate and referrals for you. You can send images at your convenience, there is not an additional fee for sharing pictures here.