Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

I have an old silver tea pot that came from Scotland with

Customer Question

I have an old silver tea pot that came from Scotland with family.
It is a Fenton Bros. silver teapot.
Markings: F.Brs .....inside an oval
Ltd........ inside an oval
S.....in a circle in fancy lettering & (/) through the S. likely indicating 1863?
Another oval containing two markings that I have not been able to identify
Under the above markings is a number.......8862
Any idea of what value is in the teapot? should it be cleaned as it has become quite dark over time. Thanks for any information you can give.
Jack Barnet:
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 8 months ago.

In order for me to properly assess what you have I will need to see images and clear, in-focus close-ups of the marks.

If you had already attached images to your initial posting, they are not showing for me here on my end.

Please send the photos at your convenience. There is not an extra charge to provide more pictures here.

~Nora

Expert:  Nora replied 8 months ago.

I received your images. The other question thread did have to be closed as it is considered a duplicate posting.

~Nora

Expert:  Nora replied 8 months ago.

I just looked over the images. The most important 'clue' I need to see is a very clear, in-focus close-up of the mark and the letters following the fancy S in the hallmark. If you can please post them here, it will be very helpful.

~Nora

Expert:  Nora replied 8 months ago.

Hi Jack,

From the images provided and the style of the mark that I can see, this is a silver plated tea pot. Plated silver does not carry a precious metal meltdown value like sterling silver does. On today's market, an antique Fenton Brothers plated teapot sells for an average of $20 and a high of $60. If indeed sterling silver, it can sell for up to $300. If silverplated, you will only want to do a light handed polish to the surface, as the plating can easily wear off over time with too much 'shining up'. Overall however if you are planning to sell this, buyers do prefer to see these polished over tarnished.

~Nora

Expert:  Nora replied 8 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance?

Please let me know.

Sincerely,

Nora