Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry

Can you give me an idea what the market value of my English

Customer Question

Can you give me an idea what the market value of my English Settee might be? I have many photos I can send if necessary. And can you tell me what the fee to do so would be? A definitive description of the piece from my friend who is a long-time accredited appraiser is below--I have had several professional friends look at it over the years and they have all concurred with the description below-- but I am still unsure of the dollar value range.
The settee is British Colonial and made in India or other British Empire Colonies.
The casters appear to be very similar to mid 19th Century casters found in American and English, French and Spanish furniture of same era.
The settee, regardless of its origin, is an interpretation of mid to late 19th C. English origins of late Victorian furnishings made in India or other British Empire Colonies of that era. The grille work or busy work below back of settee is typical of Eastern motifs.
However, this piece could also be a "re-interpretation" of British Colonial furniture made much later in the 20th Indonesia/Pacific Rim/Sumatra/Borneo or Malaysia/ Madagascar. Circa 1910-1920's perhaps. The wood is similar no matter in all of these countries: all tropical jungle forest trees, mahogany or other very hard woods. The wood is heavy and durable. Similar items are being made and re-interpreted even today, especially since trade has flourished in the late 20th C with these countries due to high demand. Prices on those are not high but low and that is why there is high demand.
Your piece basically is a mystery as to exact origin. The person from whom you purchased it or perhaps from whom you inherited it might give me more clues but these are my considered thoughts which place your piece in one of two categories of origin at this point mentioned above. I would personally value it generically.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please know that I cannot accept any requests for "live conversations" such as phone calls.
I give my best answers in writing when I have time to think about them.
Sometimes a "Chat box" will pop-up asking if you would like a live conversation. Please know it is not from me.

Please tell me the approximate length of your settee.

Do you want the value as a British Colonial piece? Or a 20thC reproduction?

Kind regards,