rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.

I just received my great grandfather's pocket watch made by

Customer Question

I just received my great grandfather's pocket watch made by the E Howard Co. The serial number is ***** There is also a serial number #2194461 on the back of the case. Any help in determining the value and the year it was made would be great. Thanks!
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 6 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I would love to help.

The next step would be for me to see pictures of the watch, dial, inner case mark and the movement (guts). The serial number of a pocket watch is on the movement, not on the case. Let me know which number is ***** the movement (guts) and I can tell you exactly when it was made.

Use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures (one at a time) and I will be able to complete my answer, thank you!

Please note that the serial number on a pocket watch is on the movement (guts) and not on the gold case. Let me know which of these numbers that you have given is on the movement of the watch.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Attached is the photo of the watch. The 4461 number is ***** guts serial number. The other number is ***** the inside of the gold case. Hope this helps. Thanks
Expert:  rarewares replied 4 months ago.

Thank you.

This is a Howard open face 14k gold pocket watch in size 18s with a 15-jewel, model III movement.

This watch was made from 1861 to 1871. This watch was re-cased at some point in time as

this movement (guts and dial) was originally in a hunter case, which is a case that has a cover that closes over the dial.

This is not uncommon, I do see these from time to time. This watch with a later art deco period (1920's)chain has a value of

$450.00 to $550.00.

It is important for you to click the stars after you have read this answer.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for a prompt and detailed response.

You are so welcome!

Please do click the five stars at the top of your screen and hit the submit button, thanks!