rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.

I have coffee cup made by Shenango China of New Castle, PA.

Customer Question

I have coffee cup made by Shenango China of New Castle , PA. It was found during construction of a new facility on Rikers Island, NY. in the 1980s. I'd send you pictures but don't see any path do that. My e-mail address is" ***@******.*** Thank you
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 7 months ago.

I did get the one of the bottom. Now use the Add Files feature to add one of the cup.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I tried to send pic of cup but the send button didn't light up

If the Add Files feature does not work for you, you can also email the pictures to***@******.*** and put 'for rarewares in antiques' in the subject line so that they will forward to me. Use the same email that you used to create your account. This way takes a few hours usually, so thank you in advance for your patience.

I got the picture, thank you.

This is a 1940-50 coffee cup made by Shenango China of Pennsylvania, this mark having been used from 1940 to now. The Riker's logo on the cup indicates that it came form Riker's "Corner House" , one of many Riker's restaurants found throughout Manhattan and Queens (the first one at at West 4th Street and 7th Avenue South) in the 1940's and 50's. While it's possible that restaurateur E. William Riker was related to the Rykers from whom the City purchased the island for the future prison, the contrast between singular possessive—Riker's—and plural non-possessive—Rikers—suggests the two were not related.

This coffee cup has a current value of $15.00.

It is important for you to click the stars after you have read this answer, thank you!

Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance?

Please let me know.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you. Your answer will suffice.

Great, then I need you to click the stars to accept my answer.