rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.

I just picked up a chair on the curb by a house (house from

Customer Question

Hi there! I just picked up a chair on the curb by a house (house from 1910) and I think it's from the fifties but I'm not sure. It's wood with pieces of leather slung for the arms and also a leather back and strip of leather where you sit. It also has 4 leather and metal or silver buckles under the seat. It is in really rough shape but very very unique. I can't find any info on it
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 7 months ago.

This is a called a Roorkhee Chair or campaign chair, used by military officers in 1898 to into the 1900's. The chair’s simplicity directly influenced many modernist designers: Marcel Breuer’s “Wassily” chair (1925), Le Corbusier’s “Basculant” chair (1928), Wilhelm Bofinger’s “Farmer Chair” (1966) and Vico Magistretti’s “Armchair 905” (1964). This chair looks to be a circa 1900 chair and has a value of $300 to $400.

It is important for you to click the stars after you have read this answer, thank you!

Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance?

Please let me know.